Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Security System

Old 04-25-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System

I have a 2012 JK with manual locks and windows. Any ideas for a security system? Also, is it expensive to put on automatic locks?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got them installed but the guy did it as a side job overall with the alarm motion sensor and automatic locks (4 door) it was around 375 including installation.

as far as a alarm would go my father just got a 2012 Tundra and got a Codealarm remote start alarm in it and it is pretty cool Im thinking about buying one myself! its a two way alarm so when your alarm goes off for any reason the remote starts beeping notifying you it went off. Pretty cool stuff!
Old 04-30-2012, 12:14 AM
JK Freak

I have manual locks on my soft 4dr - but I am looking to get auto locks just for ease of entry with my kid. I got a quote for $280 installed from a local alarm shop with a basic alarm.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

I've been checking out the viper, it has a slick two way remote

Matthew
Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I've been checking out the viper, it has a slick two way remote

Matthew
Matt check out the python same alarm as viper. That's what I got. I love it
Old 05-01-2012, 01:35 AM
JK Freak

Buy a gun or a big dog LOL

I was thinking about a security system for my JK but with the soft top and often having the doors off all it would stop is theft of vehicle to every thing else.
I am looking at under seat locking storage.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Slob

I was thinking about a security system for my JK but with the soft top and often having the doors off all it would stop is theft of vehicle to every thing else.
With a motion sensor it could scare someone off when it chirped

The turfy underseat safes are supposed to be great

Ive been thinking about one for securing a firearm

Matthew
Old 05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Slob

Check out the Pacsafe line of "TravelSafe" pouches.

They won't stop a determined thief with good tools, but they will prevent casual theft.

I have a small one and the larger one that can hold a big laptop or two netbooks.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
With a motion sensor it could scare someone off when it chirped
I don't know if I'm the only one, but car alarms don't deter thieves or call attention to theft. I think ideally they would, but they go off too often for anyone to care about them going off. And on top of them being set off by others accidentally, you have people that set them off with their remote to surprise friends, find their cars, or just on accident when trying to unlock their car.

The only way I would see a car alarm being useful is if I was always within listening distance of my car and could react to it going off in time, but I have always been of the opinion that you can't rely on others to protect your stuff.

I like the safe ideas though. My personal take on security is never to leave anything in the jeep that is valuable. If I had to leave something in the jeep that was valuable I could see how the safes would be the best way to protect my valuables.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Amro

I don't know if I'm the only one, but car alarms don't deter thieves or call attention to theft. I think ideally they would, but they go off too often for anyone to care about them going off. And on top of them being set off by others accidentally, you have people that set them off with their remote to surprise friends, find their cars, or just on accident when trying to unlock their car.

The only way I would see a car alarm being useful is if I was always within listening distance of my car and could react to it going off in time, but I have always been of the opinion that you can't rely on others to protect your stuff.

I like the safe ideas though. My personal take on security is never to leave anything in the jeep that is valuable. If I had to leave something in the jeep that was valuable I could see how the safes would be the best way to protect my valuables.
X2. I don't leave anything in the jeep I would not want to lose. I also don't bother locking the doors. I would rather they open the door and not slice the top open. If I had a hard top, I might look at it differently.

Quick Reply: Security System