Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Securing Subwoofers

Old 05-17-2015, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing Subwoofers

Ok i have searched for days now and can't seem to find anything inspiring
I have a pair of kicker 12s in a box in the rear cargo area of my JKUR I want to find a way to secure them to deter theft but make it easy for me to take out when needed for space ie a lock and hasp or something of the sort i don't want to do a cargo cover or a tuffy security deck due to cost and I don't really like the look also understanding the mdf used to build the box will need to be reinforced inside the box because screws would pull right out I have thought of maybe building some flat stock like a strap across the box and bolting to the floor just need some ideas/pictures on what and how to make it removable yet secure
Thanks for your help
Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put mine under the passenger seat, but it's a 10" shallow sub.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wrangler428
Just put mine under the passenger seat, but it's a 10" shallow sub.
Thought about that but wouldn't fit and wouldn't be able to lay the seats down when needed although that isn't often. these subs are taking 1100 watts rms and make me smile way too much when the bass literally takes my breath away to go to 10's just need a way to keep the lazy thief from walking away with the box when the top is off (usually all summer)
Old 05-17-2015, 08:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

This one went under the front seat and it creates a tremendous amount of bass. Not much room for 12's though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-745037688.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	611248  

Last edited by Wrangler428; 05-17-2015 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

When I had a pair of 12"s in my 2 door a while back, sheer weight kept them safe. I had them ratchet strapped to the rear seat mounts (rear seat removed)

Walked out of my apartment one morning and my windows were all zipped off laying on the ground and the straps were gone. The box was moved around but still there. Apparently the thief couldn't get the 100+ pound box/subs up over the side and out lol.

But back to the thread.

Maybe a solid piece of square tubing bolted to the box, stretching across from the left side of the jeep to the right. Secured onto the lip of the tub so the box cannot be slid/lifted/moved without having a set of tools. Make the bolts something obscure that the average person wouldn't carry around
Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by countrydude1992
When I had a pair of 12"s in my 2 door a while back, sheer weight kept them safe. I had them ratchet strapped to the rear seat mounts (rear seat removed)

Walked out of my apartment one morning and my windows were all zipped off laying on the ground and the straps were gone. The box was moved around but still there. Apparently the thief couldn't get the 100+ pound box/subs up over the side and out lol.

But back to the thread.

Maybe a solid piece of square tubing bolted to the box, stretching across from the left side of the jeep to the right. Secured onto the lip of the tub so the box cannot be slid/lifted/moved without having a set of tools. Make the bolts something obscure that the average person wouldn't carry around
That's creative good idea
Old 05-18-2015, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Seems simple enough, and cheap enough. Either that or secure some eye bolts into the box and get your typical bike lock or have some heavier duty cable cut to length

Quick Reply: Securing Subwoofers