Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Sealed speaker enclosures and changes in air density.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sealed speaker enclosures and changes in air density.

One for the sound gurus.

We know that based on seasons or air/tire temperature, we have to adjust the pressure of our Jeeps tires.

I've got a dirtbike where I need to equalize the air pressure in the front forks when I arrive at my riding spot. They're affected by both temp and altitude.

What about sealed speaker enclosures? Are they also affected in this manner, or are changes in relative air density accounted for when speakers are designed? (ie, they're not 'that' air tight and they are designed to bleed off differences)?

I would imagine at pro level audio this is something that has to be accounted for... Curious to hear where we stand.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yo_marc
One for the sound gurus.

We know that based on seasons or air/tire temperature, we have to adjust the pressure of our Jeeps tires.

I've got a dirtbike where I need to equalize the air pressure in the front forks when I arrive at my riding spot. They're affected by both temp and altitude.

What about sealed speaker enclosures? Are they also affected in this manner, or are changes in relative air density accounted for when speakers are designed? (ie, they're not 'that' air tight and they are designed to bleed off differences)?

I would imagine at pro level audio this is something that has to be accounted for... Curious to hear where we stand.
I'm no Guru. But I think that I can take a pretty good stab at it. Speaker inclosures ar nothing like tires. They are not exposed to pressure changes due to heat generation. The only pressure changes that a speaker inclosure is exposed to would be "ambient" pressure changes. And those changes are very small compared to tire pressures. Ambient air pressure changes so little that it is measured in "mili bar" ( mb ). 1 psi = 70 mb.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 10-22-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Sealed speaker enclosures and changes in air density.