Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Satellite Antenna Relocation - 730N RHR

Old 06-12-2012, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Satellite Antenna Relocation - 730N RHR

I've installed a roof rack on my 2012 Sahara which has caused satellite reception problems. I've seen alot of posts from others with the same issue and the resolution to just get a new satellite antenna and place it on the cowl or some other location. I've done that with a SIR 3 antenna with a universal FAKRA connector and it works great, no signal cutout anymore. The problem is my radio (730N RHR) only has 1 port for a combined satellite/GPS FAKRA antenna. So if I plug in the new antenna, the GPS navigation no longer works (can't find any satellites). I'm assuming those that have posted a solution below were dealing with the RER version of the radio which has both a curry satellite FAKRA port as well as a blue GPS FAKRA port, allowing you to unplug the stock satellite antenna and plug in a new one that's been located outside the Rack perimeter for better reception, without interfering with the GPS connection. Does anyone have a solution to this setup? I really don't want to have move the stock antenna and bolt it to anything which would require me to drill holes in something away from rack. I'd prefer a magnetic one that I can just stick on my hood cowl but open to other solutions. Help...thanks!

Last edited by cweichler105; 06-12-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed reception once roof rack installed.

OK, I fixed my issue but it involved re-routing the existing dual Satellite/GPS antenna. Here's a video where I briefly mention what I did. Fast forward video to 9:18.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...imited-225366/
Old 10-27-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also had reception issues on my Mygig satellite/nav radio in my 2012 JKU after I installed my Gobi Stealth rack. I removed the antenna from above the passenger side roll bar and mounted it to the grate on the cowl below the windshield. I really didn't want to drill into the body to mount the antenna so I found that it fit perfect in the grate area and the reception is perfect now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3257.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	383027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3256.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	383031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3252.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	43.1 KB