Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Safe to tap stock reverse lights for LOD bumper?

Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI

I have ran 2 led flush mount pods in my rear bumper for over 2 years now and have not had a single issue.

I tapped directly into the back up light wires. And yes, they come on every time I'm in reverse and I like it.

If I was going to use a higher amp/watts draw light like the halogens, I would run a separate power,relay, and switch like the others have posted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear Bumper 11.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	661923

Old 12-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dnewell22
I have a smittybilt bumper that has light in it. I ran the wires in through the rear seat drain plugs then through the firewall. Used a fuse tap in the fuse panel to power them and have a switch to control them from inside. Just bought a daystar A pillar rockerpanel to run all my lights. Works great for me!
This was helpful. Thank you.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

I'm just going to lay all the components out in my garage and hook it up first. Then I can test it all out and then figure out how to run each wire.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tapped into my right reverse light with a led pod. Turns on when I put into reverse. On Amazon you might find a complete wire harness with relay and switch pretty cheap.

Quick Reply: Safe to tap stock reverse lights for LOD bumper?