Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Safe to tap stock reverse lights for LOD bumper?

Old 11-27-2016, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Safe to tap stock reverse lights for LOD bumper?

I have the LOD gen 3 linked rear bumper. I've had it for a few years now on my JK and love it. I just never hooked up the reverse lights. Is it safe to use a 3 way connector to tap the stock wires? If people are easily doing this without major electrical issues, what type of 3 way connector should I purchase? A link on amazon and I'd gladly order the correct parts the first time. It seems at the electric isle at the store there are many different types, and combinations especially when it comes to gauge of wire and I know the JK uses very thin crappy stuff.

Just a newb looking to do the job correctly the first time. Im planning on tapping the black wire for ground and White w/Gray Stripe for the positive.
Old 11-28-2016, 03:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do try it I would get some LED reverse lights they pull less watts. With that you might be ok.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:00 AM
JK Junkie

Only problem with that is they will only come on when you have the Jeep in reverse. I honestly would just run a wire to the fuse box and not mess with the stock wire harness.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by EHarris
Just a newb looking to do the job correctly the first time.
Probably just personal opinion, but for me, this statement means splicing and soldering a good solid connection, not using things like wire connectors.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tap the reverse wire to a relay, tap the 12v socket wire to power the relay to power the lights.

Plenty of diagrams here;

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...gram&FORM=IGRE
Old 11-29-2016, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Only problem with that is they will only come on when you have the Jeep in reverse. I honestly would just run a wire to the fuse box and not mess with the stock wire harness.
Yes they are 55watt halogen and it would be best if I can turn them on and off when I need to.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by resharp001
Probably just personal opinion, but for me, this statement means splicing and soldering a good solid connection, not using things like wire connectors.
I agree but so many people use them and never have any issues. I guess my question was more directed at overloading a circuit. I agree. No substitute for clean soldered connections.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BADDANDY
Tap the reverse wire to a relay, tap the 12v socket wire to power the relay to power the lights. Plenty of diagrams here; https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...gram&FORM=IGRE
This is good but is there a video that you know of that demonstrates this? I'm unsure of where to run the wire up front, how to get through the fire wall, how to run the wire into the fuse panel.

I just need something slightly more informational on the entire process. I've never done something like this before. I've put in plenty of car stereos and speakers but those were all with wire harnesses.

If anyone from so cal is reading this I would gladly come to your house and pay you to show me how to run electrical. Seems like a good skill to have for jeep owners.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Too bad your not on the east coast. All we would need is some wire a relay ,fuse holder with fuse some black flex conduit ,some black zip ties, and a rocker switch so you could turn them on and off from the cab. Also some Beer and I would help you for free.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a smittybilt bumper that has light in it. I ran the wires in through the rear seat drain plugs then through the firewall. Used a fuse tap in the fuse panel to power them and have a switch to control them from inside. Just bought a daystar A pillar rockerpanel to run all my lights. Works great for me!

Quick Reply: Safe to tap stock reverse lights for LOD bumper?