Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Safe to mount a relay inside?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
Yeah you can, was just my 2 cents. I always use a gun over a flame myself, but that's definitely doable.
Obviously a heat gun is preferred as it provides constant controllable heat but a lighter works just fine... I've used both over the years. I have a fully adjustable heat gun myself, but the regular guy that is only going to need it on a rare occasion can grab a lighter or a cheap unit from harbor freight to get the job done. You just don't want bare terminals. I don't like to use tape because as time goes on it either gets dried out, or it gets sticky... depending on the environment around it.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999

Obviously a heat gun is preferred as it provides constant controllable heat but a lighter works just fine... I've used both over the years. I have a fully adjustable heat gun myself, but the regular guy that is only going to need it on a rare occasion can grab a lighter or a cheap unit from harbor freight to get the job done. You just don't want bare terminals. I don't like to use tape because as time goes on it either gets dried out, or it gets sticky... depending on the environment around it.
Yeah, I wasn't saying you or anyone else is wrong I was just giving another option, electrical tape from the dollar store obviously is garbage but some quality tape like 88 works just fine, and will last in the conditions under a dash or under a hood.

Quick Reply: Safe to mount a relay inside?