Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Safe to mount a relay inside?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to mount a relay inside?

I'm hooking up some rigid reverse lights and the wires from the relay to the switch are kind of short. I am wondering if I can just mount the relay under the dash instead of having to extend the wires to the switch and mounting the relay under the hood. Thanks for any insight
Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 AM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is safe as long as it is properly protected...ie proper fuse and wire sizes.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Right on, thanks!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Depending on where you're mounting the switch and the current handling capability of the switch, it might just be easier to dispense with the relay and wire the lights directly to the switch. The advice about wire size and fusing still applies. The fuse needs to be as close to the battery/power source as possible.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can mount it under the dash no problem. Just be sure all the terminals are heat shrinked, insulated connectors or at the very least taped.. but I don't recommend the tape, but it will work. I always recommend using a relay, especially if the kit came with one.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight1999
Yes you can mount it under the dash no problem. Just be sure all the terminals are heat shrinked, insulated connectors or at the very least taped.. but I don't recommend the tape, but it will work. I always recommend using a relay, especially if the kit came with one.
I don't know that very many people have access to a heat gun for heat shrink, and it's easy to mess up with a torch. As far as tape goes, some scotch 88 electrical tape is just fine, I used it all the time in extreme conditions on 480v terminations. But you are right, nothing beats some heat shrink, that's what I used on all my connections under my hood.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

If you're doing this kind of work, splurge on the $10 heat gun at Harbor Freight and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2014, 03:58 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DaveJKU
If you're doing this kind of work, splurge on the $10 heat gun at Harbor Freight and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah or do that, its a little excessive in my opinion, I did it cause I don't have to pay for heatshrink or tape or a gun and it looks cleaner under my hood. In all honesty though a scotch lock and some tape are just fine, or a insulated terminals and tape.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stagedtrip
I don't know that very many people have access to a heat gun for heat shrink, and it's easy to mess up with a torch. As far as tape goes, some scotch 88 electrical tape is just fine, I used it all the time in extreme conditions on 480v terminations. But you are right, nothing beats some heat shrink, that's what I used on all my connections under my hood.
You can use a .99 Bic lighter...
Old 10-24-2014, 04:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by darkknight1999

You can use a .99 Bic lighter...
Yeah you can, was just my 2 cents. I always use a gun over a flame myself, but that's definitely doable.

Quick Reply: Safe to mount a relay inside?