Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Running wires into the cab.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running wires into the cab.

Just bought and installed a pair of KC Slimlites. I was wondering what is the easiest way to run the switch and wire into the cab. I've seen guys having the switch run into the area next to the hazard lights switch. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Here is one way of running wires into the cab:

[h=1]routing on/off switch wires through the firewall - for windshield offroad lights?[/h]
Old 11-06-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep702
Just bought and installed a pair of KC Slimlites. I was wondering what is the easiest way to run the switch and wire into the cab. I've seen guys having the switch run into the area next to the hazard lights switch. Thanks in advance!
I went with the Rugged Ridge A pillar pod. There is a small hole to the left of A/C vent with some foam, you can push a long screwdriver or coat hanger through to get the wires fed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.2.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	233218Click image for larger version

Name:	2.2.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	233219Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	233220Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	233221
Old 11-06-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the same pod. On my 2011 there is a grommet that isn't used thru the firewall on the drivers side under the dash. I fed all my wires thru there and then sealed around the wires with silicone
Old 11-06-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shoe1724
I went with the same pod. On my 2011 there is a grommet that isn't used thru the firewall on the drivers side under the dash. I fed all my wires thru there and then sealed around the wires with silicone
How is the quality of this pod from RR? I'm interested in getting one, but only if it fits well and is decently built.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SNOWHARA

How is the quality of this pod from RR? I'm interested in getting one, but only if it fits well and is decently built.
It is very nice! I like it a lot. It fits perfectly and the switches are quality. The only thing it's the stock a pillar piece is foamed in and so if you don't foam this one in it moves a little when you touch it. Also I wish the switches werent led. I personally don't like the led shining in my face when my lights are on. O well still worth it tho
Old 11-06-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sringer
It is very nice! I like it a lot. It fits perfectly and the switches are quality. The only thing it's the stock a pillar piece is foamed in and so if you don't foam this one in it moves a little when you touch it. Also I wish the switches werent led. I personally don't like the led shining in my face when my lights are on. O well still worth it tho

What is this foam you speak of? Mine ('09 X) was just plastic and metal.

If you don't want the led to light up just unhook the ground wire. Or if you want to subdue the color you can pull the rocker off and hit with some paint on backside.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sringer
Thank you for the information. I was wondering about the LED lights being too bright. I could order the housing only (no switches) and put in lighted switches that aren't so bright.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SNOWHARA
The A-Pillar pod is nice, but doesn't match up on my 2011. I say "my 2011" because someone posted a while back it fit theirs fine. On mine, the color was off and the bottom didn't match up. I painted it and filled in the gap, but I am hoping that RR will come out with an updated version for 2011+.

Here they are side by side. My stock '11 is on the bottom, and the RR is at the top. You can see the tops match fine (the end with the half-circle) but the bottoms are not matched.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nomadr
The A-Pillar pod is nice, but doesn't match up on my 2011. I say "my 2011" because someone posted a while back it fit theirs fine. On mine, the color was off and the bottom didn't match up. I painted it and filled in the gap, but I am hoping that RR will come out with an updated version for 2011+.

Here they are side by side. My stock '11 is on the bottom, and the RR is at the top. You can see the tops match fine (the end with the half-circle) but the bottoms are not matched.

Good to know. My JK is a 2011 Sahara. I'll keep checking the RR website to see if an updated pod is coming. I'm finding that you really have to double-check if parts will fit 07-12 or just 07-10 etc. Thanks for the pics too.

Quick Reply: Running wires into the cab.