Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Running 46" Flat Panels and Satellite

Old 12-19-2011, 12:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Btaylor017
That's good advice. I think that's what I'll do. Any recommendations on the 3 stage charger?
The charger may require some shopping. A 3 stage charger is also called a "smart charger". It knows how much to charge the battery and then cuts back to a trickle. You can leave it hooked up without hurting the battery. Its also the only kind of charger that really, reaaaally charges the battery all the way.

Camping World carries them. They are made for permanant installation so you need to find your own cables. Marine supply stores also have them (if there is any boating around Dallas). Also, there are "battery stores" around that might have it.

You want a charger rated at 25 to 50 amps.

Xantrex just discontinued a really nice 40 amp portable smart charger. It was called "Charger 40". If you can find one, buy it!

You pretty much hafta know what you want and describe it to the stores. Its not a well understood subject.

You can use the same charger on your Jeep, cars, boats, etc. Its a good addition to the garage!

Tonka_Yellow - thanks for the kind words.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch out the TV to a LED TV.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up an 8d today... Heavy sucker. I'm
Wondering if I can mount a couple across from the fuel tank...
Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Btaylor017
I picked up an 8d today... Heavy sucker. I'm
Wondering if I can mount a couple across from the fuel tank...
Dude, I hope you are kidding!

One will be plenty!

Anyway, good move. Don't let it discharge below 10.5-11 volts. Store it on a board, not cement. Wash it down the day before so there is no acid on the case. With a decent charger you have serious tailgate power now. Party on
Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got to have a sense of humor to do this stuff! Thanks for the recommendations and mgmt detail. Btw - loads of lakes and boating all around Dallas...

Quick Reply: Running 46" Flat Panels and Satellite