Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rock Lights

Old 02-19-2016, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rock Lights

So I have an idea. But I want some input.

I did the whole led strip rock lights idea, and they sucked. Fell off after no time. So I am back to the drawing board. I was going to buy an actual rock light kit, but then it hit me.

I know someone who has a few extra 18W LED spots laying around. I am thinking of welding the bracket to the inside of my bumpers, and angling the light downward. So 4 total spots, 2 on each bumper.

My major concern is possibly being too bright for rock lights. Will it hurt to look at while crawling? What are your thoughts? Anyone done this before?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had led strips (3M adhesive and prepped before applying) and they were holding good when I sold my Jeep after a few months.

I liked the glow for the very reason you mentioned. The rock lights should illuminate the area under the Jeep--not make the ground glow.

It seems folks are looking for huge amounts of lights with their rock lights and I think that would be counterproductive.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

The 3M Strips were horrible. Lasted maybe 4 months. Would not recommend to anyone.

I may try getting power to them and placing them where they need to go and seeing what it is like.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would hold them in the approximate location you want and just loosen your terminals and slip the wires in to get power, and see how bright they are. If they're just laying around it wouldn't hurt to check, and it would literally take 5 minutes.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you looked at the LUX Rock lights? Good reviews different colors good materials held on by strong magnets
Old 02-19-2016, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The magnetic ones sound awesome but I understand if you're trying to save some coin. If the LEDs pivot in the brackets you could try aiming them high (at the engine for example) so you just get some peripheral lght instead of full light.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14Sport
The magnetic ones sound awesome but I understand if you're trying to save some coin. If the LEDs pivot in the brackets you could try aiming them high (at the engine for example) so you just get some peripheral lght instead of full light.
I picture aiming them into the engine would have a cool effect also. Maybe a little glow out of the grill or hood seams while also still lighting up the ground. I agree that they might reflect off the ground a little too much for rock lights if pointed straight at the ground. Still wouldn't hurt to test them out though, who knows could be perfect.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MavisJk
I picture aiming them into the engine would have a cool effect also. Maybe a little glow out of the grill or hood seams while also still lighting up the ground. I agree that they might reflect off the ground a little too much for rock lights if pointed straight at the ground. Still wouldn't hurt to test them out though, who knows could be perfect.
oh man.... a glowing grill has me all sorts of excited! I will try this out and post some photos to the thread. This could be cool.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you are not wanting to spend money on this project what so ever. I could recommend Inspired-engineering's new RGB Rock Lights. As they're an affordable set for 6 lights at on 240, not to mention if they have a deal to get a percentage off could drop them under 200!! Plus they're controlled by your phone. So they can strobe, and even flash to music. Inspired-Engineering also has a lifetime warranty on their products.
Old 02-24-2016, 01:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wouldn't hurt to try, I used a set of cheap fogs from Wal-Mart. $20 a set I think. Mounted the fronts toward the body mount and then the rears in the shock pocket. Controlled by my spod. I could turn fronts on separately rears separately or both on. Have them aiming down. Got the idea from YouTube. See what you think. Not sure how bright those are compared. I don't rock crawl. I'm more of a trail guy. So I'm not to concerned about missing light in the middle. But works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20160224_054824.png
Views:	272
Size:	659.2 KB
ID:	638672

Last edited by templer; 02-24-2016 at 01:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Rock Lights