Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rigid SR-M diffused install

Old 08-05-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rigid SR-M diffused install

I picked up a rigid SR-M diffused light at the 4WP jeep show in Atlanta yesterday after seeing a demo and deciding that I was tired of not being able to see my reverse lights at night.

The light is 10 watts and draws only .63 amps, so I'm not worried about running it directly off the battery just yet. I wired it directly into the wiring for the passenger side tail light wiring, before the wiring goes through the fender (under the plastic trim/carpet in the cargo area). I plan on eventually wiring in a relay and putting it on a switch as well.

I routed the light wire next to the other wiring in the tailgate, but came out through the rear vent instead of the grommet for the third brake light:

The bracket is 1/8" steel, bent in a vice:

This will actually fit between the spokes on my stock wheels.

The light is somewhat adjustable, going from level to a slight downward angle.

The light is slightly beyond flush, guaranteeing that no light is lost!

Now, I just need for it to be dark so I can get some pictures of it in action!

**For all you wiring experts, how do I get it to operate from a switch so it's either on with the reverse, off, or on when I want it? I know I need a relay and possibly a diode, but I have no clue the actual size/resistance required of that equipment. The local Radio Shack has 30 amp relays, but is that too much? And what size diode? How does it get wired in?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice install! Any night shots of that bad boy in action?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by antonioso
Nice install! Any night shots of that bad boy in action?
waiting for the sun to go down!
Old 08-05-2012, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Yea... so this little 2-LED light rocks!

No lights:

Stock reverse:

Stock reverse and the diffused Rigid SR-M:

Stock reverse:

Stock reverse with the Rigid:

Pictures don't do this little light justice!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the idea! I went a similar route, except I attached the SRM to my bike rack. Eventually I want to mount it directly to the tire carrier like you, but for now this was an easy solution.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by XTRMSKI
Thanks for the idea! I went a similar route, except I attached the SRM to my bike rack. Eventually I want to mount it directly to the tire carrier like you, but for now this was an easy solution.
I have a similar bike rack and thought about doing it that way, but then I realized i wouldn't have a light if i took the rack off.

Also, mine can't be removed without taking off the spare, which is a plus in a city like atlanta where people like what isn't theirs...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Very, very clever install.
I've been struggling the past week trying to come up with a location for my diffused D2 and had not considered shining it through the spare. Won't have room to poke it through, but I suspect there is enough room for all of the light to pass unobstructed. This would be a much cleaner, secure and cheaper solution compared to some of the marketed brackets.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Patman
Also, mine can't be removed without taking off the spare, which is a plus in a city like atlanta where people like what isn't theirs...

I didn't think of that security feature...might have to relocate mine to the same place sooner rather than later.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 AM
JK Junkie

Love the setup, good job
Old 10-31-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Patman
I picked up a rigid SR-M diffused light at the 4WP jeep show in Atlanta yesterday after seeing a demo and deciding that I was tired of not being able to see my reverse lights at night.

The light is 10 watts and draws only .63 amps, so I'm not worried about running it directly off the battery just yet. I wired it directly into the wiring for the passenger side tail light wiring, before the wiring goes through the fender (under the plastic trim/carpet in the cargo area). I plan on eventually wiring in a relay and putting it on a switch as well.

I routed the light wire next to the other wiring in the tailgate, but came out through the rear vent instead of the grommet for the third brake light:

The bracket is 1/8" steel, bent in a vice:

This will actually fit between the spokes on my stock wheels.

The light is somewhat adjustable, going from level to a slight downward angle.

The light is slightly beyond flush, guaranteeing that no light is lost!

Now, I just need for it to be dark so I can get some pictures of it in action!

**For all you wiring experts, how do I get it to operate from a switch so it's either on with the reverse, off, or on when I want it? I know I need a relay and possibly a diode, but I have no clue the actual size/resistance required of that equipment. The local Radio Shack has 30 amp relays, but is that too much? And what size diode? How does it get wired in?

Thanks!
did you ever figure out the wiring for off, reverse on, and on?

Quick Reply: Rigid SR-M diffused install