Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rigid Flood or Diffused on LoD bumper

Old 01-05-2015, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rigid Flood or Diffused on LoD bumper

I recently moved into a "new to me" 2013 JK for family reasons and am in the process of learning my way around the Jeep as well as the forum. Thanks for having me! I hate to post what may have been asked many times so please forgive me if that's the case. I had an LoD bumper / tire carrier on my LJ with a set of Rigid diffused duallys and saved the lights to move onto my new JK. I always kind of second guessed myself when I went with the diffused over the flood pattern and while I wait for my new full width Lod I thought I could revisit the decision. I spoke to Rigid and they are more than happy to accommodate a swap of my diffused lenses for flood lenses for a fee. They treated me very well. I just don't want to make a costly mistake here and wanted a couple of opinions. The diffused lens did throw a lot of light back there but to me it seemed rather dim. Maybe my old eyes. I know the flood lens would throw a brighter, farther reaching light pattern but would it be at the expense of a wide enough pattern to see in the side mirrors? I know so much of this is personal preference but without anyone nearby me with a set of rigid floods I can't get a handle on the pattern. I found various images online showing the pattern on a grid for both the flood and diffused but that doesn't take the place of someone who has experienced the difference tell me what to expect. If anyone has the floods spaced as LoD would space them, do you feel they throw enough light to the sides of the vehicle to see in close proximity to the rear bumper or is the flood pattern too narrow? I couldn't budget for the D2 diffused which may be the solution. The diffused I had on the LJ did illuminate to the sides and behind the vehicle but again, maybe I'm getting old but it didn't cut the night like I expected. Sorry for the long post and thanks again for my place in your community!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LOD bumpers comes with two options, their halogen kit or the rigid flush mount. I went with the flood flush mounts after talking with Dave at northridge. We felt the diffuse would not be bright enough. You will sacrifice some side to side illumination but the floods would be the better option for a rear facing auxiliary.

sent from my work leash
Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply. I too bought my Rigids from Northridge as I did my bumper and hope to order my new bumper there as well. I was kind of steered toward the diffused by a call to Rigid. I figured I would sacrifice some side to side light by going to the flood but I can't picture how much. I just wish it was possible to order the lenses and try both but that's not possible due to warranty issues. Rigid doesn't sell the lenses I'm told. When you look back with the side mirrors, do you have usable light there or is the pattern directly behind you and obviously brighter and farther than the diffused?

Its so hard to tell from people's pictures of their light pattern where the light is usable. I've also considered using the 10 degree angle brackets for the flush mount and slightly angling the floods outward to the sides to gain width. A 35 in the rear window kind of takes away the rear view mirror anyway. Do the angle brackets have a possibility of helping out to the side?

Last edited by aje3721; 01-05-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aje3721
Thanks for the quick reply. I too bought my Rigids from Northridge as I did my bumper and hope to order my new bumper there as well. I was kind of steered toward the diffused by a call to Rigid. I figured I would sacrifice some side to side light by going to the flood but I can't picture how much. I just wish it was possible to order the lenses and try both but that's not possible due to warranty issues. Rigid doesn't sell the lenses I'm told. When you look back with the side mirrors, do you have usable light there or is the pattern directly behind you and obviously brighter and farther than the diffused?

Its so hard to tell from people's pictures of their light pattern where the light is usable. I've also considered using the 10 degree angle brackets for the flush mount and slightly angling the floods outward to the sides to gain width. A 35 in the rear window kind of takes away the rear view mirror anyway. Do the angle brackets have a possibility of helping out to the side?
I think floods will be pretty bright enough for you to see while backing up. I can only use 1/3 mirrors anyways, so I just go with my gut
Old 01-05-2015, 10:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't waste money on the rigid floods/diffused for the LOD bumper. The lights are so low that you will get a lot of shadowing on any ground features. Keep in mind you can also have them drill out the holes for whatever lights you want. I put visionx lights in them and they cut them out and even put in the screw holes perfectly at no charge. It was the easiest lighting install I've ever done! You are better off getting a bracket off behind the spare or tailgate and mounting the rigid up there so you have a lot more coverage.

The light output will be the same, but you will find you have a lot more usable light.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK505
I think floods will be pretty bright enough for you to see while backing up. I can only use 1/3 mirrors anyways, so I just go with my gut
I figured the floods would be much brighter, I'm just trying to get an idea of the pattern or how far they spread to the side. I already have the Rigid diffused from a previous bumper and am otherwise pleased with the location in the LoD and the brand of the light. I know there are less expensive, fine lights out there but like I said, I already have the lights.

I'm sorry, I don't understand the 1/3 mirrors, As far as my gut, I did that the first time with the diffused and now I'm second guessing.

Last edited by aje3721; 01-06-2015 at 02:35 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-06-2015, 03:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by aje3721
I figured the floods would be much brighter, I'm just trying to get an idea of the pattern or how far they spread to the side. I already have the Rigid diffused from a previous bumper and am otherwise pleased with the location in the LoD and the brand of the light. I know there are less expensive, fine lights out there but like I said, I already have the lights. I'm sorry, I don't understand the 1/3 mirrors, As far as my gut, I did that the first time with the diffused and now I'm second guessing.
Mine are on the front, so take this for what it's worth. They're usually around 60 degrees in floods. Measure the angle out and that should help. I can see plenty to my sides and the highest point I can see is limited by the windshield not the lights.

I have my mirrors relocated to the body instead of on the doors (to be legal without the doors on) and I can't even see out of the passenger side mirror. And my hi lift, 35" tire, and cb radio block my rear view mirror. So I can only use the driver side mirror. I guess all the time, or roll down my window to look back. Still love my jeep though!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 AM
JK Newbie

So it seems as though the floods do throw a wider pattern than I was led to believe by pictures. I think Rigid says the diffused are 60 degree and the floods are 20. I'm resisting the urge to blow the dust of my protractor from high school and calculate angles from the bumper. Real feedback like yours is what I need.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can send you some pics when I get mine on but it may be a couple weeks

sent from my work leash
Old 01-06-2015, 07:17 AM
JK Newbie

Perfect, thank you.

Quick Reply: Rigid Flood or Diffused on LoD bumper