Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rigid Dually LED Lights Tied Into Factory Fog Light Switch

Old 02-08-2013, 09:09 AM
R.C
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rigid Dually LED Lights Tied Into Factory Fog Light Switch

I was going to utilize my factory fog light switch for my set of Dually LED lights with a relay switch diagram i found on the forum.But this morning i ran across a LED LOAD RESISTOR kit.Will this work to stop the led flicker when a relay is not installed? And if it would work,where to install this kit?Would i get 2 and put them in line before the dually led lights?

LED Load Resistor Kit Aluminum — 230004A Putco
Universal Fit

by Putco

Manufacturer #: 230004A Item #: 230004A

Accommodates One LED Bulb
Old 02-08-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The fog light circuit usually isn't associated with the LED flicker. The only concern is if you are using yor fog lights as Daytime Running Lights.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I tied my 14" LED bar into my fog light harness, no issues with flicker. The only complaint is switching to high-beam turns the LED bar off now. I will eventually re-wire to a separate switch.

Got it here... Very satisfied with output and quality.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	542377_579138158767036_789359897_n.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	419706   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1473-1-1.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	419707   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1474-1[1].jpg
Views:	456
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	419708  
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM
R.C
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
The fog light circuit usually isn't associated with the LED flicker. The only concern is if you are using yor fog lights as Daytime Running Lights.
I'm going to be using my dually leds as fog lights.Removing my factory fog lights all together.They're not going to be used as running lights.So if i'm understanding you correctly,I can remove my factory fog lights and install the rigid dually LED's in there place.Then make a pig tail to connect my factory fog light wire harnest to the LED's wire harnest.Turn them on and i won't have any issues with the LED's even thou the LED's takes less wattage? And running no relay?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by R.C
I'm going to be using my dually leds as fog lights.Removing my factory fog lights all together.They're not going to be used as running lights.So if i'm understanding you correctly,I can remove my factory fog lights and install the rigid dually LED's in there place.Then make a pig tail to connect my factory fog light wire harnest to the LED's wire harnest.Turn them on and i won't have any issues with the LED's even thou the LED's takes less wattage? And running no relay?
Yes. Just make pig tails so you can plug the duallys right into the stock harness. Thats what im about to do to mine.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by R.C
Correct. Provided that the total load of the new Duallys is less than or equal to the OE fog lights. The flicker is usually associated with the headlights. The load resistors are usually associated with the turn / parking lights. The only possible concern would be that you get a "light out" indication because of the low current draw. If this were to happen, load resistors would have to be used. But I think that the Duallys will draw enough current to keep that from happening.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM
R.C
JK Newbie

Thank ya'll guys... Really appreciate the info
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend you put them on a separate switch. I had dually's wired direct into the stock harness and after the jeep was shut off they would sit there and flicker. I read that canceler capacitors would fix this problem so I installed some and they fixed the flicker after shutting the jeep off, but now they will randomly flicker when it is running . I have them unplugged right now until I wire them on their own switch because the flickering was getting annoying.
The following users liked this post:
doc307 (12-12-2018)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 PM
R.C
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JacksonH
I recommend you put them on a separate switch. I had dually's wired direct into the stock harness and after the jeep was shut off they would sit there and flicker. I read that canceler capacitors would fix this problem so I installed some and they fixed the flicker after shutting the jeep off, but now they will randomly flicker when it is running . I have them unplugged right now until I wire them on their own switch because the flickering was getting annoying.
You think the Load Resistors will work? Thats what they are made for.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:49 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by R.C
You think the Load Resistors will work? Thats what they are made for.
If you run into a flickering problem, skip the load resistors. And go to plan B. Buy a simple harness. Install it on your new lights. And use the OE circuit to trip the relay.

Quick Reply: Rigid Dually LED Lights Tied Into Factory Fog Light Switch