Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rigid Dually flickering only while jeep is running

Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did not use a relay
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Junkie

Dumb question but did you try swapping one of the lights that doesn't flicker with one that does?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

yeah i swapped them and flickering stopped but on set is flood pattern and one is spot pattern ...so i cant leave them like that ...gonna try a few more thing today but other than that rigid gave me a return auth ...i guess ill send them back again and hope i get a set that works this time
Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

I had a similar problem with my 10 inch e series. This is not caused by no relay. Mine was caused by an internal ground issue that only happened while the jeep was running do to vibration. The dually's don't come with a relay in line but the bar I purchased did. Rigid thought the relay was the issue. I replaced it twice and finally just took it out and soldered my connections. Also, all connections were soldered and tight. To verify it's the light, buy a set a gator clips so that you can connect the light directly to the battery. Start it up at night and see if it flickers. Also, you'll love how the windshield lights ruin radio reception!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, when I said "independently", I meant that they weren't tied into another set of lights.
I would try making a jumper harness and connect the light straight to the battery bypassing the whole harness. See what the lights do with the JK off, and running. If the flicker stops, obviously it's something in the wiring. If it keeps up, it's almost certainly internal to the light.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DSabella
Also, you'll love how the windshield lights ruin radio reception!
Seriously? I don't listen to the radio much but why would this happen? I'm thinking about buying a second set with windshield mount.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

ok so tried most of the suggestions above still have the flicker so for the second time lights boxed up and sent back to rigid ....i just dont understand why only the spots flicker and not the floods i have on the bumper how this gets worked out i really like these lights
Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DSabella
I had a similar problem with my 10 inch e series. This is not caused by no relay. Mine was caused by an internal ground issue that only happened while the jeep was running do to vibration. The dually's don't come with a relay in line but the bar I purchased did. Rigid thought the relay was the issue. I replaced it twice and finally just took it out and soldered my connections. Also, all connections were soldered and tight. To verify it's the light, buy a set a gator clips so that you can connect the light directly to the battery. Start it up at night and see if it flickers. Also, you'll love how the windshield lights ruin radio reception!
Solder...now theres a wise idea. Can't figure out why I skipped right over soldering my connections. Guess I can do that when I add my next switch to the a-pillar. Also, I have no reception issues with FM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Also, for the poster. If you do a search on this forum for Rigid Light Bar Problems then you should see my post. Read it and you can kinda see my flickering problem and the evolution it took. Just FYI.

Quick Reply: Rigid Dually flickering only while jeep is running