Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rigid back up light install question

Old 01-05-2013, 09:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

please post pics of the lights and the light pattern when you are done!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fanatic
I appreciate all the input on wiring. I'm the furthest thing from an electrician, so I was just going to wire straight to the battery with the provided harness ( lengthening where needed) to avoid issues with the can-bus. I only want it to work off the switch so this should be fine right?
Sure thing man. As long as you wire and fuse properly. Everyting is Iirreee Mon. Still Highly recommend tapping an accessory circuit for the power to the switch. Might save you from a dead battery !!!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Sure thing man. As long as you wire and fuse properly. Everyting is Iirreee Mon. Still Highly recommend tapping an accessory circuit for the power to the switch. Might save you from a dead battery !!!
That's what I did for my hella lights in the front. These should turn night into day so I hope I notice if I accidentally turn them on.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notsoricer
please post pics of the lights and the light pattern when you are done!
I will post pics of the mount I made and get some night shots too!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's some pics of the mount I made. They aren't wired yet so no night shots.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I enjoyed the electrical discussion.
Back EMF can be 200+ volts. I use a diode in parallel to 85 & 86 to allow the energy to dissipate.
I also just made a wiring diagram for a lighting system I want to install and use two interposing relays for a interior light to work with a switch and dome light separately. I also incorporated a single pole double throw switch to control some back-up lamps. One position for on, one for off and another for on with reverse. I also could have added the 2 relays to this configuration instead of the SPDT switch.

OH... and I had not yet scoped out all my wiring routes, so this thread was an interest to me of some different ways to get to the back.

Last edited by kaffeene; 01-06-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jk- Ford: thank you taking the time to educate me. I totally get what you're saying. I've never thought about the two systems that way, but it makes total sense. I think I'll stick with the less complicated, single relay setup, but I see where your system provides more protection. In the end, I'm using a three way switch, so I'm not even using a diode, so I think my two systems are totally separate anyway.

Btw, I did back up last night with my enclosed trailer. Having the option to turn these off while backing that trailer is critical. Mine are mounted low in the bumper, but the glare back at me while backing was blinding. Just my two cents, but you trailer guys might consider a three way switch to have the ability to kill these when necessary. Especially if you're mounting them above you spare.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
Wow, and I thought I knew wiring. Show me the schematic. With the little room under the hood, where do you have 6 relays? I am running two blue sea fuse boxes on an sPOD mount. See pic. One blue sea is constant, one is relay switched. I also have a second relay for my D2 driving lights, and will have a third relay for the D2 diffused reverse lights. All three are next to the battery.

Attachment 405643
Did they sell you the sPOD mount separately? I was thinking about getting a blue sea box and scouting a few places for mounting.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

where is your brake light mounted? so far really nice!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notsoricer
where is your brake light mounted? so far really nice!
Well.......don't tell the boys in blue, but no 3rd brake light yet. I will mount a small led brake light to the bottom of the flood light platform.

Quick Reply: Rigid back up light install question