Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rigid back up light install question

Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TJM12
So would you just tap into the wires that go to the rear lights like the ones that I used for the trailer wiring harness?
Ya I just simply tapped the circuit at the tail lamp itself. I prefer using a relay. I actually used two relays on my set-up. One relay is triggered by a normal SP switch. The other relay is triggered by the OE reverse circuit. This method is used to isolate the OE circuitry from the aftermarket circuitry. No need for an OFF position.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

JK ford, two relays wired in lieu of one three way switch? Are your relays under the hood? Seems like a lot of wiring. With one relay and one switch, you only need to run one wire back to the lights (the positive from the output of the relay). Just sayin, as to each their own.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Junkie

Hey if that's good enough for you. But being a Control Technician, I like to make electrical systems dance. Ya there are many ways to make this work. I just think that this system ( not MY system ) is the best. Both of the relays are under the hood. ( I actually have 6 relays working of of 3 control circuits ). A single power wire from the battery connects to the two "interposeing" relays. A single "Switch Leg" circuit leaves the relays. The manual trigger connects to one relay. And the OE trigger connects to the other relay.

Give me a minute and Ill post a schematic.

Last edited by JK-Ford; 01-04-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

Ya I just simply tapped the circuit at the tail lamp itself. I prefer using a relay. I actually used two relays on my set-up. One relay is triggered by a normal SP switch. The other relay is triggered by the OE reverse circuit. This method is used to isolate the OE circuitry from the aftermarket circuitry. No need for an OFF position.
Ok so the only way the OE reverse circuit energizes the light is if the SP switch is in the on position?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

Wow, and I thought I knew wiring. Show me the schematic. With the little room under the hood, where do you have 6 relays? I am running two blue sea fuse boxes on an sPOD mount. See pic. One blue sea is constant, one is relay switched. I also have a second relay for my D2 driving lights, and will have a third relay for the D2 diffused reverse lights. All three are next to the battery.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2695224028.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	405643
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Okay saw the schematic. You are way complicating that install and introducing many points of failure (at the connections) and of the relays themselves. Because you're using a diode, you could have tapped the oe reverse wiring just downstream of your switch and you could have totally eliminated one relay and all of its corresponding connections and failure points. Why introduce so much extra work? Two relays are doing absolutely nothing for you since you have them spliced together at their outputs going to the lights. My three way switch simply eliminates the need for a diode and also allows me turn off the duallys, for instance, when backing an enclosed trailer and not wanting the glare off of the front of the trailer shining into your eyes. With dirt and mud and water getting all over these jeeps (if used probably), the old adage of "keep it simple" should probably be utilized (as long as its accomplishing the goal, of course). See my pic below. By tapping there, you could eliminate an entire relay.

Name:	image-1806267175.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	405645

Last edited by bobholthaus; 01-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TJM12
Ok so the only way the OE reverse circuit energizes the light is if the SP switch is in the on position?
No. Either the OE circuit can trigger the light. Or the switch can trigger the light. The only thing is with this system, you can't turn the lights OFF when the OE circuit has control. But for reverse lights, who cares.

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
Wow, and I thought I knew wiring. Show me the schematic. With the little room under the hood, where do you have 6 relays? I am running two blue sea fuse boxes on an sPOD mount. See pic. One blue sea is constant, one is relay switched. I also have a second relay for my D2 driving lights, and will have a third relay for the D2 diffused reverse lights. All three are next to the battery.

Attachment 405643
Well I actually have seven. The last one is just a normal circuit for my Long Rang lights. I bolted all of the relays to a piece of tin ( metal sign ). Then just simply slipped the "card" down beside the battery. ( forward of the battery) . My system isn't that fancy looking. I'm one of those people that doesn't do his own work to the same par that he would do for a contract job. Spending my money vs someone else plays in there somewhere too.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

It sounds like your professional wiring guy. I'd really like to learn from you if there's a reason why a two relay setup would be better. I've been wiring for a long time but I've never seen a setup like yours for one set of lights. I'm not trying to be condescending, I'd honestly like to learn for future use. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:43 PM
JK Freak

Here's a two relay setup I designed for my Polaris rzr that would allow me to run in blackout mode. The rzr uses a negative switched ground setup, so using two relays was essential. As I typically pull a trailer full of friends, I wanted the trailer taillights to go out too when I flipped the switch. It all worked perfectly, and I could add led lighting to the rzr. This isn't my first rodeo when it comes to wiring relays and lights.

Name:	image-3980832050.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	405647
Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE="JK-Ford;3366022"]

No. Either the OE circuit can trigger the light. Or the switch can trigger the light. The only thing is with this system, you can't turn the lights OFF when the OE circuit has control. But for reverse lights, who cares.

That works. I do want it to go on with the jeep in reverse but maintaining manual control over it with a switch is also something I wanted as well. Cool, I may try this.

Quick Reply: Rigid back up light install question