Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rigid back up light install question

Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rigid back up light install question

I am mounting a set of dually diffusion lights to my OR-FAB tire carrier this weekend and am wondering the best routing for the wiring to the front is. I am building a mount to mount them above my spare, but cant decide where to route the wiring. anyone have these lights in the back? If so, where did you route your wiring?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The best route has already been layed out for you by the manufacturer. Just simply follow their lead.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me add to this. I know I can run wires through the tailgate where the 3rd light wiring goes, then follow the factory harness inside the vehicle, and out through the hole in the firewall on the drivers etc. I wanna know if there is another way to route the wiring (from outside to inside) because the tire carrier swings seperate of the gate. Does this make more sense?

Last edited by fanatic; 01-03-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by fanatic
Let me add to this. I know I can run wires through the tailgate where the 3rd light wiring goes, then follow the factory harness inside the vehicle, and out through the hole in the firewall on the drivers etc. I wanna know if there is another way to route the wiring (from outside to inside) because the tire carrier swings seperate of the gate. Does this make more sense?
Oh. OK. Run the wire from inside the rear of the Jeep down thru the rear light. This will get you under the Jeep at the bumper. Bring it up from behind the bumper to the swing gate.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing a similar install except I'm mounting the light to the rear bumper below the spare. I was thinking I would run the wires under the jeep along one side and use zipties and wire loom to tuck it out of the way.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TJM12
I'm doing a similar install except I'm mounting the light to the rear bumper below the spare. I was thinking I would run the wires under the jeep along one side and use zipties and wire loom to tuck it out of the way.
Well that is an alternative. But running it thru the cabin offers better protection. And if you just add ( 1 ) more wire, you can tap the OE reverse circuit. Then use that as a trigger for automatic / manual control.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a reverse circuit tap under the passenger footwell as well, FYI.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bobholthaus
There is a reverse circuit tap under the passenger footwell as well, FYI.
Ya drivers side too. Just not sure what color.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So would you just tap into the wires that go to the rear lights like the ones that I used for the trailer wiring harness?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread, but for regular duallys, that don't draw much juice, you can probably safely just tap the reverse light wiring if you only wanted them to go on with the reverse lights. For D2s, which draw a little more wattage, using a relay is probably recommended (but in reality probably not altogether necessary. I say this because I run 55 watt Warn trail lights on two of my trailers as reverse lights and they're getting their juice from the oem plug and play 7 round wiring, which taps the reverse wiring behind the tail lights). If you're running trailer lights and duallys or D2s, you might consider a relay. Once you've committed to the relay, you can either have the reverse light wiring trigger the relay, or run a three way switch and have the reverse light wiring trigger it if the switch is turned one way, or have a constant on turn them on with the switch in the other direction, by tapping a constant-on lead. You use an ON-OFF-ON switch setup, and run the middle wire to the relay trigger.

Quick Reply: Rigid back up light install question