Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Ridgid dually choice

Old 07-23-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridgid dually choice

I'm thinking of ordering a set of the BDF brackets that allow you mount the ridgid duallys in the stock fog light location. What light to go with? Spot or flood. Amber or white. What is the amber used for?
Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

I have dually amber floods mounted on my bumper hoop. These are my go to lights in rain, fog, and snow. They also do a great job in dry conditions as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2584037168.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	344361  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I do a lot of driving on dusty dirt roads and think the ambers may be the way to go. I plan on also doing the dual dually light setup on my pillars. Thanks for the reply. Nice jeep
Old 07-23-2012, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 12HTownSahara
Thanks. I do a lot of driving on dusty dirt roads and think the ambers may be the way to go. I plan on also doing the dual dually light setup on my pillars. Thanks for the reply. Nice jeep
The dually spots on the windshield suck. Buy the dually d2's instead. I have dually spots in my jeep and my wife had D2's. Her's are much better.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

What about dually floods on the windshield. The D2s are alittle pricey when your buying two sets.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Regular duallys are fine for the bumper. D2's would be way over kill to use daily on the bumper as a fog light. You need D2's on the windshield. Some will disagree but i own one or two rigid products so I can speak from direct experience.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 12HTownSahara
I'm thinking of ordering a set of the BDF brackets that allow you mount the ridgid duallys in the stock fog light location. What light to go with? Spot or flood. Amber or white. What is the amber used for?
I have a little experience with rigid lights & after several different positioning on the Dually's / d2's here is what I came up with as the best setup for me.

I have a 2 1/2 inch lift:

BDF mount for fog lights w/ D2's driving beam.
Very bright, Great fog/driving light. Doesn't blind oncoming traffic because of the pattern.

Windshield mount dually spot
You have the ability to aim the lights where you want. Flood are too spread out & D2's are overkill if you have the D2's in the fog lights.

Rear backup lights dually flush mount Diffused
These spread the light evenly, & about 3-5 car lengths behind me

Want to go overboard?
50" SR rigid light bar w/JK windshield mount
20" SR rigid light bar on front bumper
4 dually floods under carriage for rock lights

Last edited by JKU2007; 07-23-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:21 PM
JK Junkie

The D2's in driving pattern most certainly will blind other drivers they have a light pattern that spreads from top to bottom. I've ran every light pattern available on the BDF brackets and live in a very urban area the only lamp that you are going to safely be able to use on road daily is the D1 spot. It has a sharp cutoff 30° if I remember correctly and if you aim it down the least bit you'll be perfect. The dually floods are the worst option. If you're stock height or a mild lift you won't even have to lower them. I went back and forth with Jason at Rebel until we came to the conclusion that for daily driving without blinding other traffic the spots are the best choice.

This is an example of the Trucklite headlights aimed properly

this is the Dually flood in the BDF bracket

this is both and as you can clearly see the light shoots far beyond and would blind anyone. The driving beam is similar to this pattern.

Last edited by fadeout; 07-23-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have personally tried the dually spot, flood & D'2 Driving pattern. After trying all 3 the best amount of light without blinding everyone was the D2 Driving beam. I did add 1/4" spacers inbetween the bottom of the bdf bracket & the light to help aim them down a little bit.

These pictures are 21' from the light to the fence to help get a better idea of the light.

Dually D2 Driving lights mounted w/ BDF fog light brackets slightly angled down

Dually D2 Driving lights mounted w/ BDF fog light brackets slightly angled down & Truck Lite Headlights

Dually D2 Driving lights mounted w/ BDF fog light brackets slightly angled down, Truck Lite Headlights, Dually windshield mounted spot lights

Dually D2 Driving lights mounted w/ BDF fog light brackets slightly angled down, Truck Lite Headlights, Dually windshield mounted spot lights, 50" SR Light Bar, 20" SR Light Bar

Dually Diffused flush mount back-up lights
Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Heres a few front shots.

1 foot above the ground

4 feet above the ground (where average car rear view mirror would be)

The D2 driving beam was my pesonal choice after trying all 3. Other people may like something different & that is fine. On paper I thought the spot would work better, but they put very little light out 2 car lengths away. I'm sure several other people will have different opinions, but I hope this helps you out & gives you an idea what to look for.

Quick Reply: Ridgid dually choice