Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

rhr 730 gps and satellite antenna question

Old 01-14-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
Just to clarify.... the GPS antenna IS a satellite antenna. The Serius antenna is also a satellite antenna but "listens" to different satellites. I have a 2010 radio installed into my 2011 and I have one antenna connection for the GPS and another antenna connection for the Serius. I purchased P/N 5064350AA for just the GPS and mounted it just above the radio and under the plastic tray with a cable tie and had plenty of cable for this install and It works great. I don't listen to Serius so did not purchase the separate Serius antenna even though the radio is capable.

KG6SLC aka Eugene

Why did you have to cable tie it? There is an exact spot/position for it to sit, did that area get messed up or something? The plus cutout and minus help to place it right and mount it...

Attachment 409708Attachment 409709

Last edited by AtlJeepsTer; 01-15-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GPS antenna

I did the install over a year ago and to be honest do not recall the specific reason why I mounted it where I did. However, it does work flawlessly where it is. (BTW I could not get your link to work)
I also mounted my Uconnect microphone at the same time and do remember that it was suggested that one not mount it at the factory location as when the top is off there is a lot of road noise so I do recall changing the location (and the reason) where it mounted. There may have also been a reason that suggested mounting the GPS antenna at another location as well, but as previously stated, I do not specifically recall.

Eugene
Old 01-15-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NAV antenna

Thanks AtlJeepsTer for correcting the link. My upper dash is different than shown in the link. The 2011 has a small compartment tray just above the head end where the link has the mounting location. But thanks for the information.

Eugene
Old 01-15-2013, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

Thanks AtlJeepsTer for correcting the link. My upper dash is different than shown in the link. The 2011 has a small compartment tray just above the head end where the link has the mounting location. But thanks for the information.

Eugene
LOL...sorry mixed em up with the 2010 Head Unit with the 2011 Jeep....I was trying to give you an idea what direction the GPS would point if you ever needed to know in the future, say if it moved or tie broke....lol
Old 01-15-2013, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Eugene
Because the 2011 jeep units have one combo Ant, and you have a 2010 unit with two outputs, that's why I mentioned doing a Splitter....lol

Quick Reply: rhr 730 gps and satellite antenna question