Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

rhr 730 gps and satellite antenna question

Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation rhr 730 gps and satellite antenna question

Hi does anyone know what the part # is for the RHR 730 gps/satellite antenna?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Exclamation rhr 730 gps and satellite antenna question

can anyone help?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

yes it is 05064910AA, and order an extension cord, probably from China off ebay. Search FAKRA "K" extension. I had to do this because I was ready for my install, and the antenna cable coming from the antenna is about 8 to 9 inches long. So I had to wait to put it where I wanted. What I would like answered is if I were to take the top off, find the original satellite antenna, disconnect that, and connect the new antenna to it, would that cord carry the same info to the radio?

Last edited by chamberlin_d; 01-09-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chamberlin_d
yes it is 05064910AA, and order an extension cord, probably from China off ebay. Search FAKRA "K" extension. I had to do this because I was ready for my install, and the antenna cable coming from the antenna is about 8 to 9 inches long. So I had to wait to put it where I wanted. What I would like answered is if I were to take the top off, find the original satellite antenna, disconnect that, and connect the new antenna to it, would that cord carry the same info to the radio?
If you have a 2011 and newer, and already have Sat radio, then you have the same antenna and there's no need to change the antenna or cable. The same wire can/will carry the sat signal and nav signal. To upgrade from base to nav just swap the plug.

If you have a 2007-2010 I think you just need to swap the antenna. I think the same cable will work, but not 100% sure. I think there's a thread on putting the RHR in 07-10, maybe someone in there who's done it knows.

Last edited by jwilson2598; 01-10-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Yes I have an '07 and put the RHR in and it is flat out awesome. Its a brand new unit so a free year of Sirius came with it. Can't beat that live weather radar. I will take the top off tomorrow and see if I can get the new antenna to sit where the factory one is. It is a very awkward piece, so I am hoping that the old one is somewhat similar.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I have an '07 and put the RHR in and it is flat out awesome. Its a brand new unit so a free year of Sirius came with it. Can't beat that live weather radar. I will take the top off tomorrow and see if I can get the new antenna to sit where the factory one is. It is a very awkward piece, so I am hoping that the old one is somewhat similar.
Use Caution and Care when removing Old Sat antenna because the hole is small and sharp and removing old or installing new may get damaged and cut if not carefully done...Good Luck
Old 01-12-2013, 11:04 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

pretty much the easiest thing I have done to the Jeep. I pulled the soft top back, undid the zipper over the soundbar (passenger), and the the antenna was right under the padding. The brand new antenna looked just the same as the old factory one from 2007. I undid the 4 bolts holding the mounting plate together, and unzipped the padding a little further back and found where it connected to the factory wiring. The old antenna was no problem releasing it from the plate, and new one snapped in, it took 5 minutes minus the top removal. Signal works fine. The new antenna also came with the mounting hardware needed. I am not sure if the non sat radio equipped wranglers have the two holes necessary for mounting the antenna.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 PM
JK Freak

pretty much the easiest thing I have done to the Jeep. I pulled the soft top back, undid the zipper over the soundbar (passenger), and the the antenna was right under the padding. The brand new antenna looked just the same as the old factory one from 2007. I undid the 4 bolts holding the mounting plate together, and unzipped the padding a little further back and found where it connected to the factory wiring. The old antenna was no problem releasing it from the plate, and new one snapped in, it took 5 minutes minus the top removal. Signal works fine. The new antenna also came with the mounting hardware needed. I am not sure if the non sat radio equipped wranglers have the two holes necessary for mounting the antenna.

All Wranglers would have the 2 holes in the case it was added if not installed then, plus that would be the standard sheet metal fabrication. Two hole to insure the Antenna is pointed and installed correctly....
Old 01-14-2013, 03:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SATELLITE antennas

Just to clarify.... the GPS antenna IS a satellite antenna. The Serius antenna is also a satellite antenna but "listens" to different satellites. I have a 2010 radio installed into my 2011 and I have one antenna connection for the GPS and another antenna connection for the Serius. I purchased P/N 5064350AA for just the GPS and mounted it just above the radio and under the plastic tray with a cable tie and had plenty of cable for this install and It works great. I don't listen to Serius so did not purchase the separate Serius antenna even though the radio is capable.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KG6SLC
Just to clarify.... the GPS antenna IS a satellite antenna. The Serius antenna is also a satellite antenna but "listens" to different satellites. I have a 2010 radio installed into my 2011 and I have one antenna connection for the GPS and another antenna connection for the Serius. I purchased P/N 5064350AA for just the GPS and mounted it just above the radio and under the plastic tray with a cable tie and had plenty of cable for this install and It works great. I don't listen to Serius so did not purchase the separate Serius antenna even though the radio is capable.

KG6SLC aka Eugene
You can always make a Splitter to go to both....lol...Many have done it....Gps and Sirius both work better when the Antenna is Mounted higher also...

Quick Reply: rhr 730 gps and satellite antenna question