Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

RHB radio installation headaches

Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RHB radio installation headaches

I picked up a used 2011 JK 2 door Sahara last fall along with a used RHB radio. The Jeep originally came with the base factory radio without Uconnect but has the factory Infinity sound system with sub.

Also picked up the Nav antenna, didn't need the Sirrius+Nav antenna for the RHB as well as the mic for the handsfree.

But when I installed the RHB I discovered it was not turning on the amp so no sound. The Nav works fine, radio sees the hard drive for music and pix but when you hit the phone button it says no connection.

After doing some googling I discovered that I don't have the Uconnect module so that is the problem for the phone, but will installing this solve the no sound issue or do I also have to take it into the dealer to have them program my computer to see the RHB radio and turn on the amp. What I'm trying to figure out at this point is if I don't get the Uconnect module but go to the dealer will they be able to get the amp/sound back.

Also notice that if I program the radio presets the radio suddenly shuts down and reboots. I have considered replacing the IDE hard drive with an IDE SSD drive that I had in stock but again messing with too many different things at the same time is likely to make trouble shooting that much difficult. So guess my main question is, if I go to the dealer to get my computer flashed/programmed will just doing this get the basic radio functions back online?
Old 05-08-2019, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's anything like my older RES, even if you install the module for uConnect you will have to have a dealership flash the computer to "activate" it. I would assume the other functions would follow suit but I am unsure if that was changed in newer models
Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You need more than just a module to add the phone. There's a whole wiring harness piece in between that you'd need. I started to piece it together years ago but gave up on finding the pieces for a reasonable price.

Sounds like you've got an issue with the radio though if it's shutting down on you, that's common for hard drives to do.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Start here maybe for some insight.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...angler-246338/

I’m not being a smart ass here. A lot of people don’t realize that you can have a search engine dig for information from a website. See link below for example.
LMGTFY
Old 05-10-2019, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You need more than just a module to add the phone. There's a whole wiring harness piece in between that you'd need. I started to piece it together years ago but gave up on finding the pieces for a reasonable price.

Sounds like you've got an issue with the radio though if it's shutting down on you, that's common for hard drives to do.
Thanks I discovered this the other day following a link to a company that sells the module with the harness which included the mic. I had ordered just the mic from the dealer without knowing that I needed the module. But had also missed the harness which I saw a photo of. I'm starting to think that I will skip the Uconnect part of the equation if I can determine if the RHB can be flashed at the dealer to get it to see the factory amp.

Yes I was suspecting the hard drive was corrupt, the whole system seems buggy in that I was initially doing the install on a pretty cold day. Decided to revisit the installation and the unit started working again (granted to sound!) but I agree that the HD is likely on it's way out. I have in the mean time picked up an IDE SSD drive and will clone a fresh ISO (available online) to it once I figure out the amp part.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seizer
Start here maybe for some insight.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...angler-246338/

I’m not being a smart ass here. A lot of people don’t realize that you can have a search engine dig for information from a website. See link below for example.
LMGTFY
Thanks for the link, I actually spent the better part of a week googling 'RHB radio not seeing Infinity sound system' and a number of variations of that theme and got 0 hits to that specific question. I've seen the thread about the fellow who was installing an aftermarket amp/speaker system to his RHB radio but that doesn't really answer the question I have. The local dealer's service department is not really great so was trying to ensure I had all the details before I went in and had them try a flash.

The short post from KG6SLC was interesting in that he basically did what I did. I picked up a used RHB unit from an auto recycler up here that was from a Jeep Wrangler and was from the series that did not require the unlock code. I also purchased the Navigation system antenna without Sirius because I too don't want or need the service. Picked up the hands free mic as well. I suspect the reason he didn't run into the problem I have is that he doesn't have the factory Infinity sound system upgrade. It is kind of odd to have this but only the bottom line radio.

Installed the Nav antenna on the dashboard and handsfree mic on the windshield pillar. Nav works fine, CD's are reading fine, radio seems to be seeking and finding stations but the problem is there is no audio and my guess is this is because the radio isn't happy talking to the amp through the CANBUS system. Anyhow I'm at the point where I'll likely take it in to the dealer and see if they can flash the Jeep and get the amp working. Just really wanted to confirm that this is the final step before I take it in and they tell me something different.

Jeep has to go in as I got a recall notice for my airbags and also discovered a recall on the passenger mirror wiring.

The bottom line is I can just forget about the RHB radio if it's not going to play nice with the rest of the system. I already have a high end Garmin GPS and installed the Rugged Ridge cell phone holder that fits onto the tray on the dash. It has the ball mount for the Garmin mount so I actually get more functionality from this setup as it has lifetime maps and traffic vs having to buy upgrades for the factory system. I also have a Blue Ant Bluetooth handsfree kit mounted to the sun visor so basically those were the two main things I wanted to consolidate into the radio but I can easily make do with what I have now.

I kind of thought the hard drive was a neat idea until I started to read about crashing issues with it in cold weather which makes sense as these things aren't to happy with temperature extremes or being bounced around a lot. I had suspected the initial shut down issue was a corrupt hard drive so did pick up an IDE SSD which are not easy to find and found an ISO that can clone to said drive. But for some reason now that the weather is better the radio seems to have resolved this issue. Granted if the drive is starting to fail......

Quick Reply: RHB radio installation headaches