Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replacing Stock Infinity Sub

Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Stock Infinity Sub

I am looking at replacing the stock sub with an aftermarket sub. The aftermarket sub is 4 ohm SVC. Would this pose a problem with the current stock Infinity amp configurations? What would the wiring be for the after market sub?

Thanks!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:05 PM
JK Newbie

Other posts have said 8" Dual Voice Coil and 2 Ohm. That limits your choices to very few. The 2 Ohm thing combined with a shallow mount makes the choices slim.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firewire
Other posts have said 8" Dual Voice Coil and 2 Ohm. That limits your choices to very few. The 2 Ohm thing combined with a shallow mount makes the choices slim.
correct... and correct. also not the infinity amp is not a real heavyweight either so it's going to struggle to power most decent subs... even if configured correctly.

I was playing around w/ it last night, trying to see if stock enclosure would fit under drivers seat... had the seat out and all. NO WAY Just not enough room. And even making a small box under there would be so tight on space.

I did hook up a 4ohm dvc sub i've got in parallel to just one output on the infinity amp and, like stated above, it struggled. Even though my sub is much better than the paper/foam garbage w/ an Infinity logo on it, it didn't sound as good due to power issues.

Now that I'm thinking about it though... wonder if the stock amp could run bridged 2ohm??? Or bridged at all??? If so, 4ohm dvc in paralled = 2ohm. Run it bridged to stock amp and maybe, just maybe, get a little more power. Hmmm... might try that and if/when it fries, go back to stock and let dealer warranty. If i get around to this, i'll post up.

RB
Old 03-08-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Firewire
Check JL Audio.

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Infinity Sub