Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replacing Stock Headlight Harness

Old 10-30-2016, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Stock Headlight Harness - HELP!

A week ago I lost my passenger side headlight (high and low). Figuring it was a dead bulb, I ordered replacements. When I pulled the assembly to install the new bulb, I discovered that the problem was the wiring, it was shredded.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161027_192614.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	845.3 KB
ID:	660005

My first thought was to simply splice in new sections of wire to replace the severed/frayed segments. Upon further inspection, the shielding is cracked all the way from the socket to where they enter the larger wiring bundle. So now I am looking at possibly digging into the larger bundle and also replacing the socket. This has got me thinking that it may be easier to create a new harness to run from the battery, through a relay, and finally to a new socket. If I go this route, I plan to add a capacitor and diode to account for the power fluctuation from the CANbus. I think that the additional benefit is that I will then be set up to move to halogen or LED with little worries.

My concern is that the cost is quickly mounting at a time when money is non-existent.

So, my questions are:
  1. Am I headed in the right direction?
  2. Should I stick with the H13 sockets, reducing the expense of replacing the lens or is there a really pressing reason to move to H4?
  3. The death of my stock wires concerns me... is there something else I need to fix that may have caused this?

Last edited by _Jedi_; 10-30-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Curious on this one. I've lost the passenger high beam on mine. Second time. The dealership fixed it the last time under warranty, but I can't remember what they did.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:06 PM
JK Newbie

Well, without any responses, I went about building a complete harness and changing to H4 sockets. Overall, it was an interesting experience that ultimately resulted in having working headlights.

Quick Reply: Replacing Stock Headlight Harness