Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replacing stock audio system.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock audio system.

Is it me or the stock audio system just s**cks?

I replaced the stock speakers to the Infinity Reference 6022, sound slightly better but it still sound like it lacks of power or something. I'm thinking about replacing the head unit, any recommendation on which is good. I'm would like something with a touch screen, work with the iPhone, a gps will be nice, also doesn't hurt my wallet
Old 06-06-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

I find that my driver's seat is positioned in a spot where I'm not getting the best sound from both speakers at once. If I move up towards the wheel it sounds better and if I move back towards the rear it sounds better. I just upgraded my head unit...speakers are next.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

I ordered the Pioneer GPS double din, hope this sound better than the stock radio.

You guys know what I need to install the double din? I found this bracket so far, can't seem to find the harness (I don't need to retain the RAP feature), just some plain harness so I don't have to slice out the stock one.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Re: Replacing stock audio system.

With my 07 I got a wireharness for a 07 Dodge nitro and works perfect. Best buy tried to give me one for an 06. Too bad their computer still aren't up to date.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2010, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the tip gtin

So far I got:
The radio, of course
Metra 95-6511 Double din kit
SCOSCHE CR04B Wiring harness
Metra 40-EU10 Antenna

Did I missed anything?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2010, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by letoan
I ordered the Pioneer GPS double din, hope this sound better than the stock radio.

You guys know what I need to install the double din? I found this bracket so far, can't seem to find the harness (I don't need to retain the RAP feature), just some plain harness so I don't have to slice out the stock one.

Thanks
Metra XSVI-6522 is the harness. Unless you wire the H/U yourself the harness will have RAP because it is on the CanBus.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alpine via 900

May be too much for your wallet but alpine is an awesome head unit and the navecontrolls on this head unit are the best I have ever used and I have used a lot of nav units.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vernnz
Metra XSVI-6522 is the harness. Unless you wire the H/U yourself the harness will have RAP because it is on the CanBus.
I saw that harness too, they're kind of pricey isn't it? I really don't care about the RAP feature, I would prefer everything shut down when I turn the key to off position.

I've been shopping for parts like crazy ever since I got this JK, wife is not happy Gonna keep the bill down on this audio project.

Originally Posted by H.I.I.K
Alpine via 900

May be too much for your wallet but alpine is an awesome head unit and the navecontrolls on this head unit are the best I have ever used and I have used a lot of nav units.

That Alpine D900 does looks nice. I found the Pioneer AVIC-U310BT for $250 which does everything I want (GPS/iPhone/BT). If some jerk steal this unit from me, for $250, I wouldn't feel too bad about it.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

letoan: That would have to be changed in the programming of the JK. All of the harnesses interface with the CanBus and drop the switched power to the radio when instructed.

If you want the radio to shut off with the key you will have to wire it manually. You will need a Constant (Memory), Switched, Ground, Dimmer, and Reverse (Optional). If you get a video capable unit you will have to run the Parking Brake yourself. As far as I know there are no harnesses which include the E-Brake.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry to bring back this post again. I got the Scosche CR04B and trying to prepare the harness to install tomorrow. For some reason the Scosche CR04B doesn't have ACC and Illumination, anyone know what wire from the stock harness that I can tap in to get ACC and Illumination?

Quick Reply: Replacing stock audio system.