Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replacing front component speakers?

Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remove wire from front speakers (box) and join to new crossover then run the wires from the crossover to the new speakers and new wires to the tweeters.

as for the sub i use a basslink that has the line converter built in so just unplug the factory sub, splice into the wire, as the basslink is powered the system sounds a lot better as the infinity amp is no longer powering the sub and draining it of power.

the crossovers are built into the factory tweeters.

Originally Posted by lnchbx13
Did you use the crossover for both the woofers and the tweeters? How did you wire it? I was hoping to not cut the wires since I bought the adapters for the speaker wire. Any advice on if, when and where to hook up the crossover?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by artpics
remove wire from front speakers (box) and join to new crossover then run the wires from the crossover to the new speakers and new wires to the tweeters.

as for the sub i use a basslink that has the line converter built in so just unplug the factory sub, splice into the wire, as the basslink is powered the system sounds a lot better as the infinity amp is no longer powering the sub and draining it of power.

the crossovers are built into the factory tweeters.
Thanks for the info...I just wanted to make sure that putting the crossover on the woofers up front was okay since I thought I read somewhere that the crossover was built into the amp already. I guess I wasn't sure if it was bad to have the signal crossed-over twice.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

After hours of searching and reading ever post under the sun, I'm getting conflicting advice regarding the use of a crossover installed in line after the Infinity amp. Figured it'd be easier (and faster) to just ask the question again.

I have Polk DXI6500's installed right now without the Polk x-overs, tweets sound great (actually a little too bright for my taste) but any volume past 20 results in distortion in the woofers, even with the bass at -7. I poly-filled the enclosures and also ended up drilling a couple of .75" holes which helped a bit. So, I was thinking that maybe the Infinity amp is sending the full range of low-end to the front woofers and that running the Polk crossovers on the woofers might roll-off the lows to the point of curing this.

That being said, I've read posts saying that the x-overs aren't needed given that the Infinity amp has them built in. I've also read posts suggesting the run the x-overs to the tweets. Any car audio gurus out there that can give a definitive answer?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

I think the crossovers are built in to the factory tweeters...

The above statement was sarcasm at its worst. The crossovers ARE actually built into the tweeters. FYI
Old 07-29-2012, 02:38 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, that's what I've heard, but there must be a high-pass feeding the tweeters from the amp or I'd be getting distortion from the Polks. The tweets, however, aren't really an issue, they actually sound really good without the x-over installed. The woofers are the problem and I imagine that adding a crossover to a crossover is just asking for a muddied mix. Thing is, there is a lot of advice out there that recommends wiring these every which way. I just want to clarify the whole issue to ensure I'm getting the best sound from what I have. I know, an amp is the best way to go, but I'd rather spend my money on performance-related items for now.

Quick Reply: Replacing front component speakers?