Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

replacing factory speakers with no amp GREAT SOUND!!!!

Old 04-10-2015, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing factory speakers with no amp GREAT SOUND!!!!

So I read through a bunch of threads on multiple sites before I decided to start my audio upgrade, and after much review this is what I have done and it sounds great.

I replaced my factory front speakers with Rockford Fosgat Prime R165S speakers $99 on crutchfield. I was a bit worried about installing these myself after everyone saying it was a pain in the a** and that you had to pull apart the dash. This was not hard at all it took me an hour and a half to install the front speakers and the tweeters. The driver side is not as hard as other places say in fact I found it easier than the passaanger side but I did the passanger side first. When I pulled the speakers out I used a genaric dynamat from Walmart $15 for a roll of it and was more than enough to cover the inside of front speaker boxess and the inside of my factory sub box. I also filled the boxes with polyfil. The dash speakers fit great with the supplied brackets and the tweeter fit inside the factory tweeter grilles. The best part is no need to run crossovers with these speakers.

I replaced the sound bar speakers with Rockford fosgate prime R1525x2 $59 on crutchfield I put some generic dynamat in the sound bar and polyfil. speakers fit perfect with supplied brackets. this took a total of 15 minutes.

Afer I installed the speakers I cranked it up and the mids and highs are super crisp and loud but they where now over powering the factory sub. I had a five channel amp and a replacement sub in my shopping cart on crutchfield but before I ordered it I figured I would try something. I dynamatted the inside of the factory sub box and filled it with polyfil and put the factory sub back in and moved my fade to 3 rear and I was amazed. The factory sub was twice as load and had deeper bass after doing this.

I have a total of $190 into it and It sounds great!!! I may still replace the facotry sub and add an amp later down the road as I know after a while I will want more. But if you are looking for a clean sound with a little bass (not shaking the doors off bass) but enough for a clean sound that is 1000X better than the factory infiniti system I would highly recommend this set up. I hope this helps someone out!!
Old 04-10-2015, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mango1
I used a genaric dynamat from Walmart $15 for a roll
What department in Walmart did you find the dynamat? I've done polyfill and the Boston Accoustic / Mopar speakers and it made a nice improvement, been thinking about adding some dynamat but not sure where to find it.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Run2Ga
What department in Walmart did you find the dynamat? I've done polyfill and the Boston Accoustic / Mopar speakers and it made a nice improvement, been thinking about adding some dynamat but not sure where to find it.

It was right next to the speakers it was made by 3M called sound deadening matt it was cheap figured it would be worth a shot and it worked great!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

What year is your JK? I have been wanting to do this on my 2015 but still haven't found a solution for the tweeters in the dash and sound bar since they are so much bigger now.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

It's a 2011 2 door

Quick Reply: replacing factory speakers with no amp GREAT SOUND!!!!