Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replacement LED Brakelight Trouble

Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement LED Brakelight Trouble

Anyone else out there had problems with the Rampage replacement LED brakelights for the JK? I had these on my 2000 TJ and had to add a special flasher but the JK replacements are supposedly "plug and play". I installed them last night and now have the super fast flash for several seconds (until the the resistor heats up I guess) and then the flash is normal? Anyone else encountered this and is there a simple fix?
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never looked at the Jeep flasher unit. If it is the old style I would replace it with one of the new electronic ones and that should solve the problem.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:45 PM
JK Freak

I believe the JK flasher is built into the instrument cluster = no replacement.

May need to add resistors to the turn signal wires.

What's the product part # you installed? Can't find Rampage replacement tails listed for the JK.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

My mistake, they're not Rampage, they're "Pilot Automotive Plug-n-Play LED Taillights". Quadratec item #55213.9104.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Call Quadratec or Pilot. I believe the first run of the product didn't have the needed resistors, but thought it was fixed.

Again, you can always add a small additional resistor on each side to the circuit. But I agree that for that money and with factory connectors, you shouldn't have to.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Alec
Call Quadratec or Pilot. I believe the first run of the product didn't have the needed resistors, but thought it was fixed.

Again, you can always add a small additional resistor on each side to the circuit. But I agree that for that money and with factory connectors, you shouldn't have to.
I called Quadratec and they are aware of the problem. Worst part is that Pilot is not fixing the problem in production but rather acknowledging that they need a second resistor on each light and offering a re-imbursement for the additional resistors!

Quick Reply: Replacement LED Brakelight Trouble