Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replace speakers in sound bar

Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGT-JKU
I swapped out my soundbar speakers in a mall parking deck yesterday since it was pouring down rain. Super easy. Sounds so much better even with stock HU.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
lol couldnt wait to get home huh, the day i bought my front and rear speakers i went through 4 sets trying to find the sound i liked the best and thats how i ended up with my type r's. i did it in the back of the car stereo shop cause the owner knew me well and use to send work my way when he was to booked up to install something. i can change both front and rears in under 15min with a panel pry bar, star bit driver and a nut driver (8mm i think) and thats with crimping on female spade ends to the existing wires for a clean connection and easy change in the future
Old 07-27-2013, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Neral22
For just the soundbar speakers, do it at a walmart parking lot. It takes less than 30 minutes
I was referring to making an underseat speaker box, for a down firing sub. I've already done the complete Kicker upgrade including the sub, as indicated in my earlier posts.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EsByrd
oh and i found a crappy hu pic for the time being

Attachment 482016
Looks like a nice hu. What model and what's the cost? Also, can you still use your steering wheel controls with it?

If so, that may be in the cards soon, as the audio in my JK sucks, especially in comparison to the factory stuff in my '14 Grand Cherokee Limited. For a factory system, I'm really impressed with it and nave no need to change anything. Gets a little muddy on certain tracks, but I think that's from the bass levels of the song and not necessarily the audio system. Just have to adjust the bass down a few notches.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
Looks like a nice hu. What model and what's the cost? Also, can you still use your steering wheel controls with it?

If so, that may be in the cards soon, as the audio in my JK sucks, especially in comparison to the factory stuff in my '14 Grand Cherokee Limited. For a factory system, I'm really impressed with it and nave no need to change anything. Gets a little muddy on certain tracks, but I think that's from the bass levels of the song and not necessarily the audio system. Just have to adjust the bass down a few notches.
its a pioneer bh4400 and i bought it local for around $350, you can still use your steering wheel controls but thats another expense. i cant remember the price for the harness but i think its around $200
Old 07-29-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigmike17
That's the problem with this forum!!

I was not even thinking about new speakers...until reading this...
+1 here
Old 07-30-2013, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cajun JK
I like the Factory Hu because I like the hands free. I had them install kickers front and in the sound bar and they added amp under the dash, but the rear speakers are still so low on volumn.

What amp did you add? I'd like to basically do the same setup. Did you replace the tweeters up front too?
Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Cajun JK
I like the Factory Hu because I like the hands free. I had them install kickers front and in the sound bar and they added amp under the dash, but the rear speakers are still so low on volumn.

After doing some more reading... I'm guessing they went with the LOC inputs off the stock HU then to the new kicker speakers. For about 270 on amazon for the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 and the Kicker replacements. Not a bad way if you want the stock controls like me.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by csblex

After doing some more reading... I'm guessing they went with the LOC inputs off the stock HU then to the new kicker speakers. For about 270 on amazon for the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 and the Kicker replacements. Not a bad way if you want the stock controls like me.
I started out just replacing my speakers and wasnt satisfied then I added a amp and kept the factory hu like you and to me it was still crap but everyones ears are different. Im sure if you was to swap out your hu tho you would see where we are coming from and would notice a huge difference
Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigmike17
That's the problem with this forum!!

I was not even thinking about new speakers...until reading this...
Amen to that! I feel like this Forum is draining my wallet day by day! But I can't stop!

Quick Reply: Replace speakers in sound bar