Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replace speakers in sound bar

Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The factory head unit hinders the output of the speakers. The more you increase the volume, the more the head unit cuts the bass to the speakers. That's fine for the factory speakers, but I want that extra power now!! I have the midrange and bass turned all the way up. My treble is about 3 notches from being maxed out though.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a head unit that's a direct replacement that's decent? Or will it need an install kit, too. Never really did like the look of them, but if that's what it takes, I suppose that might be in short order.

How's it sound with the kickers in the front & sound bar and that kicker sub?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
Is there a head unit that's a direct replacement that's decent? Or will it need an install kit, too. Never really did like the look of them, but if that's what it takes, I suppose that might be in short order.

How's it sound with the kickers in the front & sound bar and that kicker sub?
i doubt there is any plug and play units out there but with a install kit and harness its real simple to install. the pioneer bh4400 i use looks good mounted nd ha alot of functions
Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Sounds a lot better than the factory Infiniti system. I can blast it at full volume with the settings I described above and it will not distort. I will be adding a small amp to the sub though. It can handle a lot more than what it's currently getting, plus I want a little more thump out of it. Definitely an awesome upgrade, considering that I did the front lowers, sound bar, and sub...including misc. hardware for the sub install and polyfill for all, around $250.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EsByrd
i doubt there is any plug and play units out there but with a install kit and harness its real simple to install. the pioneer bh4400 i use looks good mounted nd ha alot of functions
Have any pics?

Originally Posted by jsukey
Sounds a lot better than the factory Infiniti system. I can blast it at full volume with the settings I described above and it will not distort. I will be adding a small amp to the sub though. It can handle a lot more than what it's currently getting, plus I want a little more thump out of it. Definitely an awesome upgrade, considering that I did the front lowers, sound bar, and sub...including misc. hardware for the sub install and polyfill for all, around $250.
Is that sub a direct fit, or are there modifications hat need to be done to make it better?

I actually have an 8" Bazooka RS tube sitting under my desk at work, along with an MTX Thunder102 250W amp that I could install, but I'm a little concerned about exposure to the elements on those days when I have my rear TrekTop panels off and it rains/snows (yes I said snows.....I have pics to prove it).

Last edited by Yellowfin; 07-26-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM
JK Super Freak

My infinty cranked at full never distorts..
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have any pics?
sry no pics right now but when i get home tomorrow i can snap a few
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Mine didn't distort on every song, but I like a lot of bass in mine, and it would distort every now and then. Once was enough for me to upgrade, but I'm just a music fanatic! The sub isn't a direct replacement. The wires will have to be cut and extended. Well, maybe not extended but it sure makes it easier to work with. You will need to make a ring out of MDF if you want the sub be completely sealed. All of the Kicker speakers are built with a poly cone, so water or snow won't be an issue. Already left it out in a rainstorm with the top and doors off "thanks for nothing weather channel app", and everything is fine with the speakers.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine didn't distort on every song, but I like a lot of bass in mine, and it would distort every now and then. Once was enough for me to upgrade, but I'm just a music fanatic! The sub isn't a direct replacement. The wires will have to be cut and extended. Well, maybe not extended but it sure makes it easier to work with. You will need to make a ring out of MDF if you want the sub be completely sealed. All of the Kicker speakers are built with a poly cone, so water or snow won't be an issue. Already left it out in a rainstorm with the top and doors off "thanks for nothing weather channel app", and everything is fine with the speakers.
Okay since I'm basically car audio stupid...please forgive the newb question, but what is MDF?

And as long as it can get wet, then that works for me. Sometimes I just can't get outside to put the TrekTop panels back on before it rains....although.....I was out at 5 this morning putting them on because it was about to rain. It started raining less than 5 minutes after I got back inside, too.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay since I'm basically car audio stupid...please forgive the newb question, but what is MDF?

And as long as it can get wet, then that works for me. Sometimes I just can't get outside to put the TrekTop panels back on before it rains....although.....I was out at 5 this morning putting them on because it was about to rain. It started raining less than 5 minutes after I got back inside, too.
mdf is a bonded wood used for speaker boxes due to its heavy density, if you plan on leaving it in the weather then i would coat the mdf ring in fiberglass resin to keep it from getting wet. mdf will swell 3times its size and separate if its not sealed

Quick Reply: Replace speakers in sound bar