Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replace fog lights with off-road lights but keep factory switch?

Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace fog lights with off-road lights but keep factory switch?

Did a fast search, but didn't find much info..

The new bumper I'm looking at doesn't have stock fog light cut-outs so was thinking about adding offroad lights to the stock fog lights wiring as a replacement. From what I've gathered I'll need a relay of some sort, but I'm really not that good with electrical work. My aim is to have these work off of the stock fog light switch. Anyone done this or have some more information about it? Going to be on a 2011 if it matters..

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just use the OEM foglight circuit to trigger the relay of any aftermarket system you like.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

i just did this to mine lastweek. took me 3 days to figure out the wiring, then one night it all clicked. lol

1 wire from relay to battery with inline fuse (powers the relay)
1 wire from relay to ground (grounds the relay)
1 wire from relay to the hot side of the lights (positive) dont use factory wires for power (powers the lights)
1 wire from relay to the positive factory fog light wire. This will be your switch wire that will turn on your lights with your factory switch inside. (turns your lights on)

I didnt know much about relays and wiring and wish i had someone to list it out like this for me... I hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bgniko
i just did this to mine lastweek. took me 3 days to figure out the wiring, then one night it all clicked. lol

1 wire from relay to battery with inline fuse (powers the relay)
1 wire from relay to ground (grounds the relay)
1 wire from relay to the hot side of the lights (positive) dont use factory wires for power (powers the lights)
1 wire from relay to the positive factory fog light wire. This will be your switch wire that will turn on your lights with your factory switch inside. (turns your lights on)

I didnt know much about relays and wiring and wish i had someone to list it out like this for me... I hope this helps.

Thanks for the help ! One last question. Are the relays from the new lights or for the stock lights? I'm taking it that the only thing that I will be re-using for this is the positive fog light (switched) wire..
Old 10-28-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

You mean something like this. VVVV Why didn't you just ask for help?

Old 10-28-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Spetz
Thanks for the help ! One last question. Are the relays from the new lights or for the stock lights? I'm taking it that the only thing that I will be re-using for this is the positive fog light (switched) wire..
The new relay will be part of the new lighting harness
Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spetz
I only used one relay for both lights. That is good. mount your relay close to the battery and make sure you inline fuse it. The only wires i used (factory) are the positive for the switch and the factory ground wire to ground the lights.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

If my jeep ever shows up I'm planning on running rigid dually lights off the factory fog circuit. With the low draw they have should be ok.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK10
I plugged mine directly into the stock wiring and they work fine?
I'm looking at the Rigid D2's so I can plug directly into the factory fog wiring as well. I've done a search, but this is as far as I got.
Has anyone done this effectively? specs say: "only using 28 watts of power" and as far as I remember, the Factory Fog circuitry was only good up to 50 watts. This should work, no?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by AptPupil

I'm looking at the Rigid D2's so I can plug directly into the factory fog wiring as well. I've done a search, but this is as far as I got.
Has anyone done this effectively? specs say: "only using 28 watts of power" and as far as I remember, the Factory Fog circuitry was only good up to 50 watts. This should work, no?
Because of the low current draw, those should work just fine. You would start running into problems if you try and run high wattage halogen and hid's using the factory wiring

Quick Reply: Replace fog lights with off-road lights but keep factory switch?