Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Replace broken OBD2 plug?

Old 10-29-2019, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replace broken OBD2 plug?

My plastic OBD2 plug has the locking tabs broken off. That fails me at the emissions testing lane for not being solidly mounted. Anyone ever swap in a junkyard plug?
The plug seems to be part of the main dashboard harness.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

[QUOTE=EarlD;4351490]My plastic OBD2 plug has the locking tabs broken off. That fails me at the emissions testing lane for not being solidly mounted./QUOTE]

This same thing has happened on my '13 and it pisses me off that it was attached by such crappy tabs. Leave my BullyDog programmer plugged in to that all the time so I thought I'd try to use an OBDII splicer so I could have that plugged in and then try to mount the other port in the factory location and make it stay put somehow. That didn't work all that well. When I got mine inspected, the port was not securely attached and nothing was said about it. That might be a difference in requirements here in Texas, or it might just be my guy was lax. I've thought about just using epoxy to make it stay in place. Sorry that isn't any help.....I commiserate with your predicament.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

This has popped up before and the recommendation was to get a plug from the junkyard and just move your wires over to it. There's a special tool you can buy that will allow you to non-destructively remove the pins and wires, but I'm not good with specialty tools like that. I too fit in the category of broken tabs and I leave my obd2 scanner plugged in all the time so it stays in the bracket.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed it.

I took the quick and dirty route of drilling 3 #19drill .166" dia holes .625" and .313" apart. Three #8 sheet metal screws then lined up with vacant pockets in the bottom row. The corner screw tightened up nicely. The others didn't bite as well. The plug feels plenty solid though.
Back to the emissions testing lane tomorrow.

Finished!

Screws will go into the holes marked in red.

Quick Reply: Replace broken OBD2 plug?