Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Remote start on 6spd YES/NO

Old 12-06-2008, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote start on 6spd YES/NO

Well the Wife has been saying that she'd like to have a remote start on the JK. We live in Eastern Canada so I probably don't have to explain what a luxury that would be. Anyway, I picked up a Prostart which works on Auto's or Manuals. It has a real nice LCD transmitter as well. My question is, should i get this put in. I'm having second thoughts because of the manual gearbox.

If you have experience with this I'd love your opinion before I decide what to do.

Willy J
Old 12-06-2008, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did this on a 2005 VW Beetle with manual trans. Big mistake. The first time you accidentally leave it in gear, you'll take out the wall in the garage or the car parked in front of you at the mall !!!

Installing on a manual creates a safety issue. If you go to sell it in the future, it creates a liability if the person that buys it accidentally hits something. IMHO it is something to be avoided.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

yeah I had a buddy who did that with a crx. he jumped the curb then took out his bumper. some systems won't work unless the e brake is on but I wouldn't risk it
Old 12-06-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

We had to repaint the front end of a car at the shop I worked with because of an auto start in a manual.

Someone left it in gear and it "jumped" through a wall...

Not worth it IMHO.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Long post... I am a car audio installer......

No. But only because its a convertible. I am an installer, so here's the scoop.

The people who say " i seen a car jump and drive over/into/through something" ...

THE UNIT INSTALLED WAS NOT MEANT TO BE PUT ON A MANUAL !!!!! THATS IT, THE BOTTOM LINE.. IF THE RIGHT UNIT IS USED, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE, UNLESS THE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE CAR......

Here;s the sequence you must go through when activating a remote start on a manual transmission car.

1. sit in car with the motor running and trans in neutral.
2. pull e brake. That will engage the r/s
3. turn the key off and remove ( car will stay running )
4. exit car ( the r/s knows its in neutral because its still running ) When you get out, the r/s sees the dome light come on.
5. shut the door. The r/s sees the dome light shut off, so it knows you left, and it shuts the car down and locks the doors.

The car is now in " ready mode ". Meaning, the r/s knows its in neutral, and there can be no way for it to be put into gear.

AS LONG AS THE DOME LIGHT DOES NOT COME ON BETWEEN NOW AND THE TIME YOU R/S THE CAR IT WILL WORK. IF YOU OPEN THE DOOR , THE DOME LIGHT WILL COME ON AND THE R/S " READY MODE " WILL BE CANCELLED.

The is nothing wrong with a r/s on a manual. I have done hundreds.

I WILL NOT ( AND HOPE ANY OTHER INSTALLERS TOO ) PUT A R/S ON A CONVERTIBLE WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

There is the ability to put the car in gear during the " ready mode " with a convertible.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow that is pretty interesting. Seems like a good way to get around the manual transmission fear.

That being said how would you possibly put a convertable into gear if you need to first open the door (and therefore the dome light would come on). Is the assumption that someone will climb in without opening the door, engage the transmission, then climb out again without opening the door?

Seems a bit of a long shot....
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Exactly what Kenny Kustom said! I've had a remote start on two of my VW's and the installer refused to install the system any other way. I was forced through the programming sequence in order to set the remote start to "ready mode" for the next time I needed it to work. If at anytime I were to open up a door after the programming sequence was set, it would be lost and I wouldn't be able to remote starter the vehicle until I went through the whole programming sequence again. Yes, this is a PITA but you get used to it pretty quickly. Just my 2cents but I suggest you return the remote start you purchased and buy and have one installed from a competent car electronics store.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WindyCityGuy

That being said how would you possibly put a convertable into gear if you need to first open the door (and therefore the dome light would come on). Is the assumption that someone will climb in without opening the door, engage the transmission, then climb out again without opening the door?

Pretty sinister joke to play on your Jeep friends though!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny Kustom
Long post... I am a car audio installer......

No. But only because its a convertible. I am an installer, so here's the scoop.

The people who say " i seen a car jump and drive over/into/through something" ...

THE UNIT INSTALLED WAS NOT MEANT TO BE PUT ON A MANUAL !!!!! THATS IT, THE BOTTOM LINE.. IF THE RIGHT UNIT IS USED, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE, UNLESS THE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE CAR......

Here;s the sequence you must go through when activating a remote start on a manual transmission car.

1. sit in car with the motor running and trans in neutral.
2. pull e brake. That will engage the r/s
3. turn the key off and remove ( car will stay running )
4. exit car ( the r/s knows its in neutral because its still running ) When you get out, the r/s sees the dome light come on.
5. shut the door. The r/s sees the dome light shut off, so it knows you left, and it shuts the car down and locks the doors.

The car is now in " ready mode ". Meaning, the r/s knows its in neutral, and there can be no way for it to be put into gear.

AS LONG AS THE DOME LIGHT DOES NOT COME ON BETWEEN NOW AND THE TIME YOU R/S THE CAR IT WILL WORK. IF YOU OPEN THE DOOR , THE DOME LIGHT WILL COME ON AND THE R/S " READY MODE " WILL BE CANCELLED.

The is nothing wrong with a r/s on a manual. I have done hundreds.

I WILL NOT ( AND HOPE ANY OTHER INSTALLERS TOO ) PUT A R/S ON A CONVERTIBLE WITH A MANUAL TRANSMISSION.

There is the ability to put the car in gear during the " ready mode " with a convertible.
I always wondered about them in a manual. Unfortunately, there isn't anybody reputable to do it around here anyway. I need the exercise anyway I guess. It would be nice when it's below zero though.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WindyCityGuy
Wow that is pretty interesting. Seems like a good way to get around the manual transmission fear.

I could reach the stick shift VERY easily from outside the Jeep without opening any door. On a 4 door with the windows up you would have to climb in but if the windows are down or you have a 2 door, or you have half doors...

Quick Reply: Remote start on 6spd YES/NO