Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Relocating factory fogs - keep oem or use plug and play replacement

Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Um...pretty basic man. A few color coded wires, some good connectors, and tape. As long as you disconnect the battery and don't cross wires no probs. I did mine...very simple and no issues
Originally Posted by jester1525
That was what I was looking for, but now I'm curious about using the factory relay for aftermarket lights- I was under the impression that the wiring for the fog lights was pretty sensitive to changes..
This is exactly what we are trying to explain.
Yes it is pretty easy to just simply splice the OEM wiring and extend them to a new set of lights. BUT, if you want your new lights to actualy work, they have to be of equal or less wattage than the OEM lamps. Some people have been sucessful with higher wattage lamps. So atleast they say. But if your luck is like mine, then I wouldn't suggest it. If you want to play it safe, use an aftermarket harness and relay.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's been what I was thinking - But I haven't come across any lights under 50 watts - at least none that I'm liking..

So both the harness and relay need to be under 50 watts? Or can I use the relay with a higher watt lights as long as I wire it for power separately? I haven't started opening up the bumper so I'm not sure how the wiring is set up.

I really appreciate all the help and advice
Old 09-15-2011, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jester1525
That's been what I was thinking - But I haven't come across any lights under 50 watts - at least none that I'm liking..

So both the harness and relay need to be under 50 watts? Or can I use the relay with a higher watt lights as long as I wire it for power separately? I haven't started opening up the bumper so I'm not sure how the wiring is set up.

I really appreciate all the help and advice
With the harness and relay method. You can use any wattage fixture you like. The install would be like any other aftermarket install. The only exception would be the switch. Just use the OEM wires in place of the new switch wires.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 55 watt 4 inch lights (Pilot Brand) in place of stockers for a lot less than bulbs to replace. I just spliced into the existing wiring and have no problems with the stock switch setup...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by armyretiree
I have 55 watt 4 inch lights (Pilot Brand) in place of stockers for a lot less than bulbs to replace. I just spliced into the existing wiring and have no problems with the stock switch setup...
Some have been successful. Many have failed. Either way. The OEM electrical system isn't designed for higher wattage lamps. So you may have been lucky "for now".
Old 09-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

This is exactly what we are trying to explain.
Yes it is pretty easy to just simply splice the OEM wiring and extend them to a new set of lights. BUT, if you want your new lights to actualy work, they have to be of equal or less wattage than the OEM lamps. Some people have been sucessful with higher wattage lamps. So atleast they say. But if your luck is like mine, then I wouldn't suggest it. If you want to play it safe, use an aftermarket harness and relay.
I was referring to using the oem fogs. The op said oem or comparable aftermarket which would be the same wattage. Yes if you tried to wire up 100 watt lights it might create a problem
Old 09-16-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I was referring to using the oem fogs. The op said oem or comparable aftermarket which would be the same wattage. Yes if you tried to wire up 100 watt lights it might create a problem
I have no urge to try and cut holes in the new steel for fog lights and would like to mount them just above the bumper.

I know I could buy aftermarket lamps and just make a new switch, and while I will probably do that eventually, I would really like to keep the factory switch and wiring harness.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate it.

2011 Unlimited Sport

Thanks!
See, here lies the problem with aftermarket. All that I have seen so far are 55w. I believe that the OEM fog lights for the 2011 are something like 21W
Old 09-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

See, here lies the problem with aftermarket. All that I have seen so far are 55w. I believe that the OEM fog lights for the 2011 are something like 21W
I think mine are 45 watt. Honestly have never checked. Now that you bring that up I know I want to replace the factory headlights and was wondering myself if there is a better/brighter fog light replacement bulb?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Im not sure about the newer models. And many people have talked bad about the Silverstars. But I have been running mine for a long time. And you can't beat the cost when compared to other mods.

Quick Reply: Relocating factory fogs - keep oem or use plug and play replacement