Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Relocating factory fogs - keep oem or use plug and play replacement

Old 09-14-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocating factory fogs - keep oem or use plug and play replacement

I'm working on a custom bumper and need to relocate my factory fogs. I have no urge to try and cut holes in the new steel for fog lights and would like to mount them just above the bumper.

Is there a way to make a decent looking light bucket for the factory fogs or is there an aftermarket bucket?

I found these http://www.quadratec.com/products/97047_1000.htm and I suppose they would work though I'm not loving the price.. Anyone know of other after-market versions?

I know I could buy aftermarket lamps and just make a new switch, and while I will probably do that eventually, I would really like to keep the factory switch and wiring harness.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate it.

2011 Unlimited Sport

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just bought those same lights, new on eBay for $80 shipped. Shop around. They are made by Hella and the search is for Hella FF75. Otherwise any 55 watt auxiliary light will work without too much, if any creative wiring.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or you could use the OEM switch to trip the relay of any aftermarket system.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
Or you could use the OEM switch to trip the relay of any aftermarket system.
Yes, what he said.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:32 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See this thread for pictures/description of light bucket using 3" PVC pipe caps: Housing for Factory Fog Light?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would just fab something. You don't need all 4 mounting tabs to make it work. Also it is easy to cut factory plugs and splice in some wire to extend them...
Old 09-15-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would just fab something. You don't need all 4 mounting tabs to make it work. Also it is easy to cut factory plugs and splice in some wire to extend them...
And it's easy to screw up your electrical system too. And, it's not realy that hard to do it right.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

And it's easy to screw up your electrical system too. And, it's not realy that hard to do it right.
Um...pretty basic man. A few color coded wires, some good connectors, and tape. As long as you disconnect the battery and don't cross wires no probs. I did mine...very simple and no issues
Old 09-15-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do both, cutnthe wires!!! Solder and heat shrink, or butt connectors and do the PVC buckets and relocate , and grab a cheap set of off-road lights with a relay kit and use the factory switch to trigger them....
Old 09-15-2011, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
See this thread for pictures/description of light bucket using 3" PVC pipe caps: Housing for Factory Fog Light?
That was what I was looking for, but now I'm curious about using the factory relay for aftermarket lights- I was under the impression that the wiring for the fog lights was pretty sensitive to changes... I do eventually want some offroad lights - The PIAA driving/ fog lights are what I'm thinking, but I just don't have the cash at the moment... If I wire aftermarkets separatelyfrom the fog harness, I can use the fog relay as a switch? That won't cause problems?

Hope I'm making sense...

Quick Reply: Relocating factory fogs - keep oem or use plug and play replacement