Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Reducing wires to connectors

Old 11-02-2019, 06:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reducing wires to connectors

When connecting eight rock lights to an S pod or
other type of switch system, How do you go about reducing the eight connections to one positive and one negative?
Old 11-03-2019, 04:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I paired the fronts to a single lead and the same to the rear. I then joined the front and rear to a single lead to the S-Pod.
The following users liked this post:
Izzy Hernandez (11-14-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I have a few accessories that I had to combine several cables to one.

1. My Lux Monster Rock Lights - I had 14 leads on that job - I found a convenient place near my SPod and used a Busbar (very clean install).

2. My 3 radios (HAM, Commercial, and CB) - I combined all three 14 gauge leads to 12 gauge lead just before the SPod (I soldered them - lots of heat needed ....)

Although both of the jobs came out nice - if you can find a little bit of space, the BusBar gives you the cleaner, more accessible (if ya need to rip it apart) job.

My two cents ...
Old 11-06-2019, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I think the answer you are looking for is as follows.

Run all your light leads to a secure out of the way place but measure them out and temporarily tape them in place to get them all the correct length. Cut them at a length where they are not too long but you can get at them easy to strip the ends about 1". For the common wire use a #12 to avoid voltage drop, strip that the same 1". Go to the electrical wholesaler and get some 5/8-3/4 shrink tubing (about 3-4") that has the sealing goo inside it (Runs around the join when you shrink it down) and purchase a crimp link that will fit about a #2AWG wire. Twist all the light wires and the common wire together and crimp the link down on the wires. Solder them with an electric gun or a very very small butane torch (I use the latter) and wait to cool down (use fine resin core solder). Then take the heat shrink and place over the connection about 3/4 of the way and leave some sticking out over the end. Shrink it down and see the goo come out the end. While it is hot (don't touch) get lineman pliers and squeeze the overhanging end together which makes it seal. The goo will go all in between the wires and will seal that end also. Tie it now with tie-wraps. You will be a great grandfather before that connection fails.
Tip; run your home run wire in that tiny split black conduit and run inside chassis if you are going from front to rear. I did the same with my Chev conversion emissions harness. Hope this helps
Old 11-14-2019, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thank you!

Waited for a while for a response & almost gave up but you guys rock!
Old 11-14-2019, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Default Bro!

Not sure if you have considered making videos, but DANG! Your instruction was spot on & I was able to Get Er Dun! Just in time for an event. Thank you SO much for all the help & detailed instruction!

Quick Reply: Reducing wires to connectors