Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Red Lightning Bolt

Old 03-11-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Lightning Bolt

Hey all,

Been browsing threads for possible answers to my issue. I have a '07 4dr Sahara Over 2 months ago I got the red lightning bolt on my dash. Turning car off then back on usually does the trick. Didnt notice any decrease in performance. Checked the battery (little over a yr old) and the terminals were a bit corroded. Have since cleaned thoroughly. Issue went away or so I thought. Came on again 2-3 days ago. AutoZone checked for any codes may be kicking out.....and there were none. Hate to take to the dealership and get a hefty bill.

Any suggestions?

Thx in advance

Gabe
Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Usually that mean low voltage, your alternator could be going, you can usually get that tested at auto stores as well but you may have to remove it to test it.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Inko
Usually that mean low voltage, your alternator could be going, you can usually get that tested at auto stores as well but you may have to remove it to test it.
x2 or just take a multimeter to it and you will be able to find out if its putting out low power
Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you. Will check it out.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

Went to local autozone and they tested my alternator. The fella tested it and said it is holding a charge. Light hasn't come on in a few weeks so not sure if there is any need for concerns. Additional thoughts?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SaharaGabe
Went to local autozone and they tested my alternator. The fella tested it and said it is holding a charge. Light hasn't come on in a few weeks so not sure if there is any need for concerns. Additional thoughts?
It sounds like the battery is going bad. You said you checked the terminals, but did you check the battery? I got the same light when mine went bad. Also check all the grounds
Old 03-30-2012, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default Damned Red Lightning Bolt

So it has been going on and off this week. Can't possibly be the battery since it is less than a year old, but will check it out. If not, think I'm gonna take it to the dealership to have checked out, unless someone may have any other ideas.

Thx all.

Last edited by SaharaGabe; 03-30-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:46 AM
JK Freak

throttle? that's what mine was. i was running a performance chip and when it went bad it temp dissabled throttle response and the red lightning bolt came on. good luck
Old 03-31-2012, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SaharaGabe
So it has been going on and off this week. Can't possibly be the battery since it is less than a year old, but will check it out. If not, think I'm gonna take it to the dealership to have checked out, unless someone may have any other ideas.

Thx all.
yeah it can be the battery. ive had batteries go bad in a month. keep the terminals clean, check the grounds and keep an eye on it. what i would do is test it with a meter when the light comes on. good starting point. check voltage and amperage
Old 04-02-2012, 05:43 AM
JK Newbie

Default the "Bolt"

Thx Apostle. First time it came on I noticed the terminals were pretty dirty. I thoroughly cleaned them. Just checked them and they are still clean, and no sign of corotion. I will check the battery when the bolt shows up next. Will come back. Thx.

Quick Reply: Red Lightning Bolt