Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Recon Winch parts?

Old 05-17-2015, 05:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recon Winch parts?

i added an in-cab switch for my recon winch from 12v guys.

instead of opening my winch up and tying into the wires i was wondering if i could just find a connector with pins for the wired remote and attach the 12v in and out from the in-cab switch.

i could leave that connected and keep the housing of the winch sealed.

or i could buy a 2nd remote, cut off the wiring and tie that in to the cab switch.

i woud l need to figure the pinout, but that should;t be too hard.

am i missing something?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could go either way.

Removing the cover on your Recon will reveal clean and sparsely populated area. If you buy a grommet and drill a hole in the back side, you could hard wire the remote pins\wires and have a solid connection.

IMHO it would be better to do this than to have a spliced cable that plugs in to the outer connection, subject to vibration and weather etc.

If I were to wire the winch to a switch in the cab, I would fuse it in the least and run the cable in loom along the engine well to the firewall. If the Recon is perm mounted, this is enough, but if it is removable you need a quick disconnect for the switch along the way and this can be a 2-pin trailer light connection from the auto parts store. Since this is the switch you don't need heavy gauge wire, you could use speaker wire etc.

The pinout shouldn't be difficult and can probably be deduced with a VM connected to the OEM Recon switch cable. Put the meter on DIODE TEST or switch to resistance and rock the switch back and forth to see which pin is IN and which pin is OUT and common. I'd do it for you now, but I would have to put on pants and go out to my truck

With basic tools, a soldering iron \ solder, some electrical tape, shrink tube, loom, a grommet and some wire, you could get this handled in short order.

Last edited by Unlimited_Fun; 05-17-2015 at 09:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Recon Winch parts?