Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Recommendations on a New Head Unit

Old 08-31-2013, 12:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd personally stay away from jvc and Sony. I've had both. Always had great luck with Pioneer and Kenwood Excelon. Pioneer being my first choice

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old 08-31-2013, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought the Pioneer AVH-5500BHS online for $3.49 which is way cheaper than anywhere else, it seemed like a sketchy site but had great reviews and got the product in a couple of days through Fed Ex. This unit has everything that you are looking for, and I really like it easy to use and it looks good installed.

This is the site I got it from, it was cheap enough I went ahead and got alpine component speakers for the from and coaxial for the soundbar.
http://www.12voltsavings.com/pioneer...-avh-x5500bhs/
I got the wiring harness that you need yo install it from amazon at a cheaper price it was the PAC RP4-CH11 which comes with the steering wheel module, wasn't to hard to install did everything in one afternoon.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:25 PM
JK Newbie

You guys know jvc is made by Kenwood right? And they are a great value. Plus in a jeep you can only have so much, it will get stolen wet or both and the sound in a jeep isn't all that great to need a ultra high end unit.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98Vobra
You guys know jvc is made by Kenwood right? And they are a great value. Plus in a jeep you can only have so much, it will get stolen wet or both and the sound in a jeep isn't all that great to need a ultra high end unit.
That's what has kept me from putting anything in my jk.. I seem to get stuck in the rain with more doors off the time. Not sure how much water one will hold up to. So far factory one has been fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-05-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are your thoughts on Kenwood vs. Pioneer vs. JVC? I was looking at the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS, Kenwood DDX470, JVC KW-AV71BT, JVC Arsenal KW-ADV65BT. Maybe some other similar spec'ed units. I know budget price range may have gone up....LOL

For hooking up my iPhone: I see that the Kenwood has a front USB to plug into, but the Pioneer and JVC has a special cable that would have to hook into the back and then route to somewhere. Since I use my iPhone I would want it to be able to easily hooked up and disconnected and such. What's your thoughts on this?

With installing these units would the USB port in the center console no longer be hooked up? Would it be possible to have this wired in as well.

Thanks and I appreciate your help and input.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a brand new Alpine IVE-W535HD for sale that I could do $500 shipped to you if you're interested. Info here: Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

I was going to put it in the JK but I'm going to hold off for now.

Just figured I'd throw that out there, haha...

Last edited by ahfunaki; 09-05-2013 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattk11
I was able to reuse the factory Sirius antenna and the cable plugged into the back of my Pioneer.
How were you able to reuse the factory antenna? I thought that they had different connectors; factory vs. aftermarket.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a simple set up, just a Sony DSX-S210X. I don't do radio or CD/DVDs. It has two USB for iPood/Fony/or what I use, just a USB stick. Detachable face for anti-theft. It even has built in Bluetooth for streaming/phone calls. And at $120 it was hard to say no.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JW JK

How were you able to reuse the factory antenna? I thought that they had different connectors; factory vs. aftermarket.
Nope, I think I used a short pigtail for the standard radio antenna and just took the plastic connector off the Sirius antenna exposing the metal connector and plugged it in. Worked great.

Quick Reply: Recommendations on a New Head Unit