Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Recommendations on a New Head Unit

Old 08-29-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Recommendations on a New Head Unit

I have a 2013 JKU Sport with the connectivity package and sat radio and I am researching into installing a new head unit. Here is some basic information:
  • Budget of about $300 to $500 for unit
  • Want it to easily control iphone and ipod connection
  • Would like functions to be easy to operate (i.e. volume, switch between applications, switching between radio,/SAT/I-pod or i-phone, etc.)
  • Capable of functioning with steering wheel connections (both radio and phone)
  • Eventually want to install new speakers and maybe a small sub below the passenger seat, but may have to hold off on this part of the audio upgrades until I can gather more funds. Will just replacing the head unit and keeping the stock speakers for now be a problem?
  • Capability to add a rear camera
  • Doesn't necessarily have to be DVD capable
  • Doesn't have to have built in GPS capabilities
Please be specific in regards to make/model so I can look them up. I appreciate any input and recommendations.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MAG00
I have a 2013 JKU Sport with the connectivity package and sat radio and I am researching into installing a new head unit. Here is some basic information:
[*]Budget of about $300 to $500 for unit[*]Want it to easily control iphone and ipod connection[*]Would like functions to be easy to operate (i.e. volume, switch between applications, switching between radio,/SAT/I-pod or i-phone, etc.)[*]Capable of functioning with steering wheel connections (both radio and phone)[*]Eventually want to install new speakers and maybe a small sub below the passenger seat, but may have to hold off on this part of the audio upgrades until I can gather more funds. Will just replacing the head unit and keeping the stock speakers for now be a problem?[*]Capability to add a rear camera[*]Doesn't necessarily have to be DVD capable[*]Doesn't have to have built in GPS capabilities

Please be specific in regards to make/model so I can look them up. I appreciate any input and recommendations.
Try the Pioneer line of in-dash DVD players. X3500bhs - x8500bhs. Has all that you are asking for plus Siri voice command. I have the 8500 because it had a removable face and six 4v outputs.

BTW, I had the same set-up you did. I sold my Uconnect module for $125 and my 130 for $75. Also sold my Alpine amp and speakers for $100 and my sub enclosure for $200. I was able to reuse the factory Sirius antenna and the cable plugged into the back of my Pioneer. I didn't lose any functionality at all, in fact it's a 1000 times better.

Last edited by Mattk11; 08-29-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are three units that I a=have been recommended:

Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

(Crutchfield advisors recommended this unit)

JVC KW-AV61 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood DDX470 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Any others? Thoughts on these? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MAG00
Here are three units that I a=have been recommended:

Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

(Crutchfield advisors recommended this unit)

JVC KW-AV61 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood DDX470 DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Any others? Thoughts on these? Thanks.
Most people (other than JVC owners) consider the JVC is a step down in quality from the Pioneer and Kenwood. Alpine should also have something similar and would be on the same level.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check on amazon and sonicelectronix they usually have the best prices. Crutchfield is usually a bit higher. I usually save 10% by shopping around for the best deal. Between the 3 company's someone is usually having a sale.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I forgot to say I prefer the Kenwood ddx470 which is $299 on sonic and $277 on amazon.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dahmer
I forgot to say I prefer the Kenwood ddx470 which is $299 on sonic and $277 on amazon.
In this price range I would agree mostly because it has 4v RCA outputs. Better for when you add amps. The Pioneer in this price range only has 2v.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:17 AM
JK Super Freak

I hope you don't feel as if I always try and one up you Matt but the points you bring up make me wanna discuss my opinions! Lol.

I have a jvc avx 802 I think was the model and it had 4v. My touch screen went out one day so I sent it back for repairs. I had a friend that let me borrow a pioneer d2 which was a higher end unit but it only had 2v preouts. The sound was noticeably worse with the d2. The high end seemed more tingy and bright but I lost the full sound I had before. My sub was not near as loud and full. It sounded like I went from a high quality amp to something that was cheap. A lot of it in in the eq. I had a 7 band on the jvc and the pioneer had a 3 band. When you adjusted the low frequency it would alter the other frequencies for whatever reason.

I will never go with a head unit with less than 4v. The quality of sound is so much greater with a 4v head unit. Also, from experience my vote would be spend a little more money and get the pioneer. Unless your just a huge kenwood fan. The pioneers user face is so smooth and easy. The look is awesome and I had not one problem with mine..
Old 08-31-2013, 10:12 AM
JK Newbie

I have the Jvc Kwav70bt it's great. Detachable face and great sound. Not real$$$$
Old 08-31-2013, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bombout800
I hope you don't feel as if I always try and one up you Matt but the points you bring up make me wanna discuss my opinions! Lol.

I have a jvc avx 802 I think was the model and it had 4v. My touch screen went out one day so I sent it back for repairs. I had a friend that let me borrow a pioneer d2 which was a higher end unit but it only had 2v preouts. The sound was noticeably worse with the d2. The high end seemed more tingy and bright but I lost the full sound I had before. My sub was not near as loud and full. It sounded like I went from a high quality amp to something that was cheap. A lot of it in in the eq. I had a 7 band on the jvc and the pioneer had a 3 band. When you adjusted the low frequency it would alter the other frequencies for whatever reason.

I will never go with a head unit with less than 4v. The quality of sound is so much greater with a 4v head unit. Also, from experience my vote would be spend a little more money and get the pioneer. Unless your just a huge kenwood fan. The pioneers user face is so smooth and easy. The look is awesome and I had not one problem with mine..
I don't see it as an argument at all, you just confirmed what I said. I'd take 4v outputs over 2 any day. That is because I have always run amps. All HUs are underpowered. Period.

There are two brands I wouldn't buy. JVC and Sony. I just think the entry level Pioneers, Alpines and Kenwoods are a step above. Then again, I've never actually owned an entry level HU, so you should probably disqualify my opinion.

Quick Reply: Recommendations on a New Head Unit