Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rear windshield wiper issues- electrical

Old 12-08-2012, 04:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear windshield wiper issues- electrical

Ok so I am a genius and was in a rush....(admittedly never a good way to start a project)....took the hard top off and started to drive out of the garage.

I forgot to disconnect the rear wiring and windshield wiper fluid tube. I rolled about 3 feet forward before I heard the sound of the tubing and wiring being pulled. I immediately stopped, jumped out and disconnected the wiring and tubing, then drove out.

The wiring remained connected but it was pulled out several inches from the back of the hard top. I didnt think about it until today when I put the top back on. I tried to turn the rear wipers on but they did not work, however the wiper fluid sprays out.

I dont know much about electrical systems so really have no idea how much damage was done, but something obviously happened. When I attempt to turn the wipers on, the radio cuts in and out momentarily and for a few seconds after I turn the wipers back off. Any thoughts to the damage done, any recommendations on fixes?

Also, to add to this complicated issue, after looking at the wiper motor I noticed that two electrical cords are not connected to the motor. One appears to connect to the motor, and the other is on the far side of the glass. This was not caused by the event I stated above. I bought the jeep during the summer and it looks like these have been off for some time. The previous owner just tucked them away in the housing so it could not be seen. I attached a pic of the disconnected wiring I am referring to. They look identical, one on the wiper motor side, and one on the passenger side. Are these for the defrost? Again, any recommendations on fixes?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	396451

Quick Reply: Rear windshield wiper issues- electrical