Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rear View Mirror Map Lights

Old 10-14-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear View Mirror Map Lights

I recently purchased and installed LED bulbs for my dome lights in my 2013 four door JKU. I never thought about the rear view mirror map lights, though. Has anyone changed these out to LED's? I've searched online and have come up empty. I took the LED's out of the dome lights because I thought it just looked funny with the yellow light of the mirror bulbs along with the white light of the LED's. I looked under the mirror, and the lenses don't look too easy to remove. Any thoughts will be appreciated.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The map lights under the mirror are already LED's, if you want to change them out to a brighter color temp then you will need to pull the circuit board out, unsolder the old LED's and solder in the new ones.

I wound up just taking a flat head screwdriver and popping off the panel underneath the mirror and unplugging the wire that powers the lights. Looks much better now.

Forgot to mention, if you replace all 3 dome lights with LED's, the front mirror lights will not turn off so you might as well just unplug them anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Tazzinator (08-02-2020)
Old 10-14-2013, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply, ZJP. I never thought about just disconnecting them. Especially makes sense if they won't turn off with the others changed out. Again, thanks for the help!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2013, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ZJP
The map lights under the mirror are already LED's, if you want to change them out to a brighter color temp then you will need to pull the circuit board out, unsolder the old LED's and solder in the new ones.

I wound up just taking a flat head screwdriver and popping off the panel underneath the mirror and unplugging the wire that powers the lights. Looks much better now.

Forgot to mention, if you replace all 3 dome lights with LED's, the front mirror lights will not turn off so you might as well just unplug them anyway.
You can get LED bulbs that are CanBUS friendly and will keep the map lights from staying on. I like having my map lights, they've come in handy a couple times.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
You can get LED bulbs that are CanBUS friendly and will keep the map lights from staying on. I like having my map lights, they've come in handy a couple times.
I've tried using the canbus bulbs but they never worked for me. It seems as if it's either a hit or a miss.

I actually prefer not having the front map lights on because it looks weird with the rest of my lights being 5000K bright white.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I appreciate the info, thanks.

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror Map Lights