Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rear compartment amp install?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have the infinity system? If not, then buy an amp small enough to fit under the dash in the stock location.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanNEBTD
I would but I do have a 2 Dr so space is a little tight as it is :p

I went to the dealership today and took some measurements. The tub is a little rounded but the bottom of it has about 22"x8"x5" of usable space on the bottom . . those measurements are a little larger at the top.

The amp I am now looking at is 17.70 in. x 9.25 in. x 2.50 in so I may have to make a short false floor to hide the wires and gain some clearance. It runs very cool and I am not worried about heat after talking to tech support/ reading reviews.

I have a 4-dr, so not sure on this, but you could probably build a false floor in front of the back seats also. Depending on how much you use them for seating, it may be a great solution. Again, not taking up cargo space, easy to conceal, and not all that much of an overall impact on the design. I'm not sure how the seats fold though...
Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Here's my setup, I designed it around having a covered trunk.

(the bar at the top is the Mopar Add-A-Trunk)

Old 06-18-2009, 11:28 AM
JK Freak

Memphis Belle fits like a glove and never overheats... Not sure of the dimentions for the well but the Belle is 25.81" L x 7.6" W x 2.4" H

Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rbuckenmeyer
I have a 4-dr, so not sure on this, but you could probably build a false floor in front of the back seats also. Depending on how much you use them for seating, it may be a great solution. Again, not taking up cargo space, easy to conceal, and not all that much of an overall impact on the design. I'm not sure how the seats fold though...
That's not a bad idea, I'm probably going to remove the srats anyweay but I could fab up a false floor in the pass rear foot well area. Ill probably do that if it doesn't fit in the rear. I would like it to be under a tuffy security something eventually so that's why I'm leaning towrd the back.

Also no amp that is capable of pushing my speakers and sub would fit under the dash :-/
Old 06-19-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by James76
unfortunately unless you have a 4 door, the options are very few as far as concealment. The alpine pdx series amps can be wedged under the steering column. The storage tub in the back could hold some amps but not the elongated ones. I was contemplating using one of wood's storage tub enlargement kits as a subwoofer box for a single 12 or 2 10's. Quadratech has a nice setup

h ttp://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_300X_PG.htm
Its available with many other subs including an L5 Crazy expensive tho!

does anybody have this sub setup? do you like it?
Old 06-19-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DanNEBTD
That's not a bad idea, I'm probably going to remove the srats anyweay but I could fab up a false floor in the pass rear foot well area. Ill probably do that if it doesn't fit in the rear. I would like it to be under a tuffy security something eventually so that's why I'm leaning towrd the back.

Also no amp that is capable of pushing my speakers and sub would fit under the dash :-/
I'm sure you could fit an amp behind the glove compartment if you lose it... a little sacrifice, but just buy a scrap glovebox and cut everything off the face so it still locks and looks stock but leaves you a big cavity to mount the amp.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rbuckenmeyer
I'm sure you could fit an amp behind the glove compartment if you lose it... a little sacrifice, but just buy a scrap glovebox and cut everything off the face so it still locks and looks stock but leaves you a big cavity to mount the amp.
Thats not a bad Idea but Im pretty set on getting a JL G6600 which measures 9-1/4"W x 2-1/2"H x 18-1/16"D :( . . . I get cost on JL since our company carries them and it is an all in one amp of perfect wattage for my use. If I cant get it to fit in the rear compartment I'll probably bolt it to the back of a tuffy security something and live with it there . . a little messier but with some wire management it shouldn't be that bad.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:08 PM
JK Jedi

I have a big amp too (old school kicker) I cut a plate from plywood, carpeted it, bolted under my seat suspended off the carpet.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Any pics of that? I'd like to see how you suspended it. More details would be great.

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I have a big amp too (old school kicker) I cut a plate from plywood, carpeted it, bolted under my seat suspended off the carpet.

Quick Reply: Rear compartment amp install?