Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rear compartment amp install?

Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear compartment amp install?

I am hoping the the size of the rear under-floor compartment will be large enough for my speaker and sub amps. Has anybody done this before? I am planning on running a "JL Audio M-Series M2250" bridged for my sub and a "JL Audio M-Series M4500" for my speakers. I will not have my jeep for another week though and did not know how feasible it would be to put the amps under the floor.

Does anybody have the dimensions for this area? . . also are there any amp-install pics floating around? I want to try and keep it as concealed as possible.

Thanks for the help.

Dan
Old 06-07-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

unfortunately unless you have a 4 door, the options are very few as far as concealment. The alpine pdx series amps can be wedged under the steering column. The storage tub in the back could hold some amps but not the elongated ones. I was contemplating using one of wood's storage tub enlargement kits as a subwoofer box for a single 12 or 2 10's. Quadratech has a nice setup

h ttp://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_300X_PG.htm
Its available with many other subs including an L5 Crazy expensive tho!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

Wouldnt the amp get hot under the storage area door? Maybe if you didnt run a large one, or didnt listen to it at the volumes I do... :P
Old 06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hkx3
Wouldnt the amp get hot under the storage area door? Maybe if you didnt run a large one, or didnt listen to it at the volumes I do... :P
I'm still working on that lol . . .Im trying to do something like this . .but with two amps. I stole this pic from This thread. I listen to mostly talk radio . . but when I have the top down and for longer trips I would probably just pull the cover off the compartment for ventilation . . until I think of something else.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Maybe you could place a small, or a couple small, fans under the door, and see what kind of air flow you get to the amp. It would look really clean, and make it less appealing than my current setup to the thieving types. My amp and sub are both just sitting behind the back seat.

I like the idea of using this little area...

In other words, I value your thoughts, and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

just an fyi, I have filled that compartment with water a few times. I is not a good place for electronics.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

getting back to one of the original questions... what are the dimensions of that back compartment?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hkx3
Both Alpine and Jl Audio make very nice-clean d-series amps that run very very cool and have a very small footprint.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you're going to put a lot of effort into the back area, which it sounds like you are, I would suggest creating a false floor a few inches off the frame floor. Easy to make and you can really customize it to what you want/need in terms of amp and sub box sizes. Easy to find matching carpet to conceal it all. That solves any water issues that could arise in the tub as well.

It's what I would do if I was going to replace the whole system.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rbuckenmeyer
If you're going to put a lot of effort into the back area, which it sounds like you are, I would suggest creating a false floor a few inches off the frame floor. Easy to make and you can really customize it to what you want/need in terms of amp and sub box sizes. Easy to find matching carpet to conceal it all. That solves any water issues that could arise in the tub as well.

It's what I would do if I was going to replace the whole system.

Good luck.
I would but I do have a 2 Dr so space is a little tight as it is :p

I went to the dealership today and took some measurements. The tub is a little rounded but the bottom of it has about 22"x8"x5" of usable space on the bottom . . those measurements are a little larger at the top.

The amp I am now looking at is 17.70 in. x 9.25 in. x 2.50 in so I may have to make a short false floor to hide the wires and gain some clearance. It runs very cool and I am not worried about heat after talking to tech support/ reading reviews.

Quick Reply: Rear compartment amp install?