Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Really odd signal lights electical situation

Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really odd signal lights electical situation

Without going in to a long boring story here is my situation in a nutshell.

- In the past, I replaced all my taillights / turn signals with led. I did not bother to fix the rapid flash from using the wrong bulbs. They were free.

- About 3 weeks ago I wired in marker lights on the Smittybilt flares I have. Things worked fine.

- I recently broke one of my rear taillight leds while taking it apart late at night in the dark (don't ask ha). I didn't realize it broke and about half way home I noticed something was wrong. I took it apart and found the broken bulb and removed it. I replaced both taillight bulbs with different ones (not the same type)

Now, my jeep acts light this...

When I hit the brakes, my markers light up with the taillights. When I signal, all my lights flash like my hazzards are on.

When my lights are on, everything acts normal.

I have taken apart and disconnected each bulb one at a time and the situtation has not disappeared. I have disconnected them all starting with the back one I broke and the situation stays. On the light the bulb broke, I disconnected the whole harness from where my trailer hitch adapater is connected to rule out a short in there.

Anyone have any ideas?

Its a 2012 JK
Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default Fixed

Was looking at the led bulb that I broke and noticed that it had a resistor in it. The bulbs I replaced have no resistors to them so I popped in one of the original incandescents and voila.

The computer must of been seeing no bulbs at all through the entire lighting circuit and acting funny?

Ah well, all is good now.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

The newer CANBUS systems get really finicky when it comes to anything electrical, so that's probably what was causing your issues.

Quick Reply: Really odd signal lights electical situation