Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Re-use stock fog light wiring

Old 07-21-2008, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-use stock fog light wiring

I am looking for a set up fog lights that will run from the stock wiring & switch.

Thanks upfront for any help.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:55 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by jpjunkie
I am looking for a set up fog lights that will run from the stock wiring & switch. ...
Sylvania SilverStar Halogen Fog Lamp Upgrade

And maybe these (not sure, includes a switch/harness, but maybe just for those who don't already have fog lights):

Delta Fog Light Upgrade for 07-08 Jeep JK
Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpjunkie
I am looking for a set up fog lights that will run from the stock wiring & switch.

Thanks upfront for any help.

Did you mean the stock plug that is on the Jeep, to plug into aftermarket lights?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

And maybe these (not sure, includes a switch/harness, but maybe just for those who don't already have fog lights):

Delta Fog Light Upgrade for 07-08 Jeep JK
Well, I bought the Delta fog lights...direct OEM replacement--I think not They include an OEM style wiring harness--not a wiring harness to piggy back on the OEM fog setup.

Well, I figured the OEM fog lights were 55 watt, the Delta's are 55 watt, so it should work if I cut off the OEM plugs, add connectors and wire it up. After spending about an hour or so rebending the 90's on all the little brackets so the lights fit correctly in the holes, I got em wired up. They came on for about a second.

Then they wouldn't come back on when I turned the stalk switch on then off, then on. They did come on again for a split second a few minutes later...

I'm thinking either I have a bad relay (though my OEM fogs worked fine) or the OEM relay can't handle the load and is tripping.

Any ideas? ...help please :(
Old 09-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am pretty sure the factory fogs are 45W, not 55W.

Edit:
Just looked it up, the Factory parts fiche says the fog lamps are 50W. so your over by 10W, that's what is tripping it out. Just run them on their own relay and you should be fine.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 09-14-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I am pretty sure the factory fogs are 45W, not 55W.

Edit:
Just looked it up, the Factory parts fiche says the fog lamps are 50W. so your over by 10W, that's what is tripping it out. Just run them on their own relay and you should be fine.

Happy...thanks...I found an earlier post you had responded to concerning fog light hook-up using the OEM switch. I wired it up this evening with no issues. You rock!

I used the hot from the OEM wiring to trigger the Delta relay. Delta sends a pretty nice pre-fabbed harness so it was pretty easy.

Thanks
Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know if this is of any help, but the 90mm Hella Fogs that came with my FabFour bumper work perfectly off the stock wiring.
I run them 100% of the time my low beams are on and have never had them shut off.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by schwarzjp
Happy...thanks...I found an earlier post you had responded to concerning fog light hook-up using the OEM switch. I wired it up this evening with no issues. You rock!

I used the hot from the OEM wiring to trigger the Delta relay. Delta sends a pretty nice pre-fabbed harness so it was pretty easy.

Thanks

No problem

I am very pleased to help. I get a kick out of it. Glad you are up and running.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by edwin907
I don't know if this is of any help, but the 90mm Hella Fogs that came with my FabFour bumper work perfectly off the stock wiring.
I run them 100% of the time my low beams are on and have never had them shut off.

Do you happen to know the wattage/type of bulbs?

I am nearly positive the factory ones are 45W (the manual does say 50W though)

I am curious. I am sure a few different lights of different make/manufacture (xenon, halogen/45W, 50W... etc.) will work up to a point where the computer reads a problem and trips them off. Someone said they had 50W lights without issue, but i would bet those are on the edge of tripping the computer. But hey, I am glad they work. I cant find that post right off though.

It would be nice to get a little running list going of what does, and does not work (including the year of the Jeep in case something changed) I think it would help a lot of people out.

Something like this as an example:

Jeep Year --- Light Description/Wattage ---- Manufacturer ---- Functions on factory Circuit
2007 --------- Silverstar 9145 / 45W ---------- Sylvania ---------- YES
2008 --------- Joe's Lights / 50W -------------- Joes Dad ---------- Briefly, then let out all the blue smoke

etc.

Really only interested in whatever works in the factory foglamp wiring, as anything else can be made to work.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 09-17-2008 at 01:50 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jrtjk
Ever any update on this?

I tapped into my stock wiring with a set of ProComp 55watts, and they come on when the Jeep is turned off, but if the vehicle is running, they'll turn on, and then off after 1 second. It just seems like there isn't enough power or that the relay is turning them off due to the load.

I guess I'll just wire them independently, but I was hoping to get away with using the stock wiring/relay/switch. nuts!
Like Happy wrote up on another thread. If you use the factory wire to trigger a new relay, run the power from the battery to the relay and then to the lights, you will have semi independant, but still controled by the factory light switch.

GL

Quick Reply: Re-use stock fog light wiring