Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

random loss of all electrical power

Old 07-17-2024, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default random loss of all electrical power

2012 JKU Sahara 3.6L automatic (highly modified for rock crawling) with about 140K miles on it. This past week it started acting up. I used the factory remote start (I've always used it so it's not a new thing) and this is what happened - 2 light clicks, louder click, all electrical dead, no electrical power at all, as if I had removed the battery. after a few minutes, electrical came back on - I did not touch anything, I was sitting in the driver seat calling to get a tow home. Put the key in, ignition on, all normal electrical - pw, pl, lights, radio, dash lights all working properly. turn to crank - all electrical went dead again. So I waited a few minutes, electrical came back on, crank started the engine and I drove home with no issues. Later that day I tested the remote start - worked fine, tested key crank - worked fine. Next day, drove to store. Come out and same issue with key in (didn't use the remote start). 3 attempts later it started. It's been sitting for 2 days - now seems to start fine with remote or key. Any idea on how to even start diagnosing this? Battery is good.
Old 08-03-2024, 08:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had something similar happen to me in my 2007 JKU. Mine would happen when I was driving down the road tho.

It ended up being a wire that had worn through the coating and was grounding out somewhere and was blowing a fuse that just shut everything down. I had to work backwards to find where it was grounding out. I eventually found it and taped it up and it fixed the problem.

Sounds like yours isn’t blowing a fuse but could be a similar issue. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: random loss of all electrical power