Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Random chime

Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
I have had people with auto tranny's chime off road due to trans oil temp being too high. My '08 manual JK does it about 2x a year with no indicators, lights nothing. Very useful!
There should be a message and/or Light telling you the Oil Temp (which is the Tranny's Temp now) is Hot and if it does overheat, boil over, Huge chance it will catch fire.

Did you take yours in for the Recall on adding this warning?

Safety Recall J30- Reprogram CCN-Transmission Fluid Temperature Warning

Forum on the Chime:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-t...arning-112033/
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is a manual, so hot oil is not an issue. Funny, there is a nice display on the dash that could be used to tell you so much, but is not.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
Mine is a manual, so hot oil is not an issue. Funny, there is a nice display on the dash that could be used to tell you so much, but is not.
I know...lol...lots of space there.....So Manuals don't have fluid in the 4X4 Transmissions?
Old 01-15-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any type of programmer plugged in? I installed a superchips trail dash programmer and started noticing that ding not too long after driving. Never get lights or anything - just the same 'ol random chime.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Low, or almost gone?
Mine would do it when it was about a quart low and on an incline, fast launch, or hard breaking. Used to drive me crazy until I figured out what it was. It gets worse as oil gets lower. I'd lose a little less than a quart between oil changes, luckily I always had 3/4 of a quart left after each oil change.

I hope the 3.6L in my new 13 doesn't eat oil like the 3.8L did in my 07.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by caveman8fb
Mine would do it when it was about a quart low and on an incline, fast launch, or hard breaking. Used to drive me crazy until I figured out what it was. It gets worse as oil gets lower. I'd lose a little less than a quart between oil changes, luckily I always had 3/4 of a quart left after each oil change.

I hope the 3.6L in my new 13 doesn't eat oil like the 3.8L did in my 07.
A quart low would normally not be low enough to make the pump starve for oil. I wonder if the oil pickup was installed incorrectly.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't forget about the change oil indicator.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did this for a while, we watched the dash like a hawk until we saw a light flash with it and it was the seatbelt light for me.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by areeves65
Do you have any type of programmer plugged in? I installed a superchips trail dash programmer and started noticing that ding not too long after driving. Never get lights or anything - just the same 'ol random chime.
I've got the superchip vivid linq.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ignatius504

I've got the superchip vivid linq.
I'm not saying that's it but that's when I started noticing mine... I've been monitoring my trans oil temp like others mentioned above on recalls from Chrysler but my temp never exceeds 175ish sometimes 180 or so if I'm wheeling hard.

I'm installing a generic trans cooler from B&M sometime in the next couple of weeks just to be safe.

Quick Reply: Random chime