Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Rain and Jeeps Dont Mix

Old 06-17-2009, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rain and Jeeps Dont Mix

Was riding around all day yesterday with the doors and rear windows out and was caught in some good downpour. The top was on so most of the water was kept out but it still managed to spray its way to the console. However I have two questions regarding this.

Last night, the jeep starts freaking out at like 1am. The alarm just would not turn off and when i would turn it off it would start back up. Then the emergency lights were going on and off. So I just removed the power to the battery and called it a night....Now i figure maybe the circuitry needs to just dry up or what not? Cause nothing has happened as of yet today. Do you think i'm in the clear?

My second question is does your soft top gather a lot of rain water on the back end right above the rear seats? i feel as though the weight of the water will soon cause an ever lasting droopiness in my top.

1st Time Jeep Owner, Long Time Jeep Lover.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM
JK Freak

don't know what to say about the rain and the alarm but the lights do flash while the alarm is going off. Are you sure someone didn't set the alarm off?

I do have water pool up on the top some but when it gets enough on there it just runs off.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

That little bit of water shouldn't have caused any harm. I've driven around in downpours with the top completely off with anough water in the JK that my feet were under water and I would have to wipe the radio off with a towel to be able to read it. Also had to wipe the inside of the window, 'why aren't the wipers doing anything??? oooohhh'...

x2, on the are you sure no one set it off? If it is a problem, I doubt it was the rain's fault.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

The Jeep was inside the garage. So no one could have set it off. It just started spazzing. I would disable the alarm with the remote key and it would go right back off again. even when i took the wire off the terminal and re touch it, it would fire back into crazy mode. IDK what it was, but the Jeeps been pretty tame today.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, the only problem I had was this past weekend when my locks went crazy. After an hour or so they started working again. You gotta love the electronics in Jeeps
Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

Yeah, the right title for this should be "Rain and electronics don't mix"

I've had mine rained a few times and various electrical gremlins will start running around. Everything from radio function lost, volume don't work to horn dead or ever so weak "huunnnn" when you hit the horn.

Even had ESP/BAS warning light pop on after hitting a deep puddle on the trail.

Everything returns to normal when it dries out. So far
Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Everything should return to normal once it dries out. However, I should point out that my Jeep gets a little crazy sometimes for a few days until the carpet has completely dried--seems to be related to the humidity at that point.

As for water pooling on the softtop--I've not had it be so bad that it was a concern unless I was parked. Then there was quite a bit of water up there. Softtop does not seem to suffer after the water drains/evaporates. You can pick up some after-market bows to put up there if it concerns you.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:27 PM
JK Freak

Poor JK was scared of thunder.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got caught out in the rain last night at a picnic. Was't supposed to rain.
No way to save it since my windows and doors were at home.
Its drying off fine now in the driveway.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

emergency cab cover. they can be found for under 40 bucks. good for overnight with the top off, can be compressed enought to fit in a smallish bag under one of the seats so you have it if a sudden storm comes up while you are driving (of course you gotta stop and put it on and can't drive until it's over, but at least you won't get entirely soaked).

Quick Reply: Rain and Jeeps Dont Mix