Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Radio works but no sound (factory amplified system)

Old 01-22-2024, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio works but no sound (factory amplified system)

Hey, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have bought a 2010 Jeep Wrangler with factory amp. The person had a factory stereo in it, the sound had stopped working so they changed it to an aftermarket radio thinking that was the issue. When they changed it to the aftermarket radio there was still no sound. Everything works besides the sound. When I bought it, I only got the aftermarket radio with it. Still doesn't work. I was wondering if it would be the amp causing the sound not to work. Or what other issues it may be. When I'm driving sometimes it takes the door locks quite a bit longer to lock. Doesn't always lock at the same speed. Some times it takes 20 minutes for the doors to actually lock themselves. if anyone else has had the issue with the radio with no sound. Please let me know. Or if someone knows what I can do from here that would be great. Thank you.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 408 Likes on 383 Posts

Welcome to JKF. A blown speaker can cause the AMP to shut down if wired correctly then the radio appears to be working just the AMP ain't ampping .. No thoughts on door locks.
Old 01-27-2024, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

The amp in on the can bus, so a scanner that can check codes and talk to all the modules can find a code if the amp is bad. Having said that, are you 100% sure it didn't work before the radio swap? A replacement head unit has to be wired differently than a non-amp setup, and a replacement radio requires an interface as well.

If the amp is alive on the can bus and it doesn't have a DTC, my first guess would be that the aftermarket radio is installed wrong. Crutchfield.com has a good way to search for compatible wiring harness, interface, and instructions, if it comes down to that.

Quick Reply: Radio works but no sound (factory amplified system)